Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a terrible problem with the rear hatch squeeking. I'm not sure if it is due to the lock or the struts or what, but it is driving me crazy. I did search the topic in the forums and could not find any usable info. It is getting so bad that I don't know how much I can stand it any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this is in the wrong forum, moderators please move to the correct one.

Thanks.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
My hatch squeeks while shut and driving over uneven road surfaces.

I've discovered that the lower plastic cover comes away from the clips holding it to the hatch door.

Although I haven't found a way to keep it clipped yet, pressing the plastic back onto the clips helps for a day or so. Gently closing the hatch rather than allowing it to drop, helps a bit as well.

·
on line
77 Posts
Yeah mine does...did it all the way for a 200 mile trip out I-68 last week. Was hating my truck when I got there. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Sounds like the tailgate, but hard to tell. I put the felt pads under the hood like I read here, but it apparently wasn't that. (On the plus side, when I got there I was real happy to have a 4x4 going down primitive logging paths)

·
on line
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I had this same problem with the rear window in my 86 S10 Blazer and it would squeek because the lock bar that locked into the tailgate was actually wearing away. Knowing this was the reason for the squeek in a past truck which had been over 14 years old when I got is a little agravating considered this just started at around 37000 miles. No more warrenty now.

·
on line
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I might check the molding clips and then consider replacing the struts on the hatch and see if that makes a difference.

·
on line
36 Posts
Mine does that sometimes after I let the hatch slam shut kinda hard. As mentioned earlier, I have found that the grey trim panel that covers the lower half of the hatch door will pop loose from the trim clips if you slam the hatch too hard. It squeaks pretty loud and is very annoying. When I hear it, I pull over, open the hatch and pop the trim panel back onto the clips with my palm. Then shut the door a little softer, and the noise is gone. It didn't do this in the past until I pulled the panel off one time. I was investigating to see if an internal hatch release could be jerry-rigged.

·
on line
191 Posts
I had this problem, took it to the dealer, they replaced the rear hatch cover, the plastic part. It was due to a broken clip.

·
on line
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey,

Thanks for everyone's replies. I am going to investigate these issues when I go on my four day break starting tomorrow. Unfortunately I cannot take it back to the dealer because it is out of warranty.

·
on line
707 Posts
Anyone ever come to a solution to the squeak? The rear hatch on mine squeaks as well. Both when I shut it and when I am on a bumpy rd. Of course this only occurs about 75% of the time. I have tried to oil it a couple times but so far no luck. Going to the stealership next week but would like to avoid it if possible.

·
on line
20 Posts
I've had mine into the dealer twice (this past spring) for the squeeky hatch syndrome...first tiime, they replaced clips....second time, they replaced the interior hatch cover, all under warranty. I noticed the other day that the cover is sprung again, and squeeks a bit...back to the dealer when I get a chance, even though warranty is now expired....on-going issue, they should honour it. (I also don't bad-mouth anybody when I deal with them, and seem to get good service from them: Kelowna Nissan).

·
on line
45 Posts
I had a very similar issue with a god-awful squeak that I couldn't pinpoint. I thought it was coming from the rear of the vehicle, in the hatch area, but upon further investigation, it was actually coming from the hood! There are three rubber stops that have threading built into them for adjustment. Mine were completely shot so I had to order some from the dealership. They cost around $1.75 a piece and all you have to do is unscrew them and screw the new ones back in. I was amazed that I thought the squeak was coming from the rear, when actually it was the hood. Really weird...Good luck!

·
on line
707 Posts
Well took the X to the stealership today and was told that I actually broke the back hatch and it would not be covered under warranty...You see instead of a "Nissan Approved" first aid kit I had a vehicle emergency kit with jumper cables etc. I was told that it exceeded the load maximum of the back hatch(3lbs). He said inside are just "cheap plastic clips" and they can break easily(duh!). They wanted a minimum of $95 labor +parts to fix it. I said no thanks.

I of course weighed the emergency kit when I got home and sure enough it weighs 4.6lbs. But I guess it never occurred to me that something that light would cause damage. I have looked through the manual and can't find anything explaining the maximum weight the rear hatch straps should hold, but will look again....

Anyone know if the maximum weight for the first aid kit is in the manual someplace?

·
on line
707 Posts
Thanks for the link, I am probably out of luck to get it fixed under warranty but if I can't find any maximum in writing maybe they will still cover it.

I am reluctant to believe this particular dealership as they told me that my VIN was not covered under the belt tensioner TSB and that I had to pay for a new belt. They of course fixed it under warranty after I got home found it online and called and gave them the TSB #.

On the upside I had a good weekend making my custom Lobo shelf/pet barrier, so despite the incessant and possible expensive to fix squeak all is still good with the X!

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
I am probably out of luck to get it fixed under warranty but if I can't find any maximum in writing maybe they will still cover it.

Maybe, but put the onus on them. Ask them where this maximum "rating" is stated. If they can't show you in user/owner manuals, perhaps you can make a case. Or at least enough to get them to split the cost.

It's not like you were unnecessarily beyond the realm of reason by placing jumper cables in that location; despite being over the "rating".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts