Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something started squeeking over the weekend - pretty loud on the way to work this morning. Sounds like a belt of somekind, not opened the lid yet to investigate as I was already running a little late for work. I just hit 7100miles over the weekend, I guess its back to the Dealershit tomorrow :(

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I read over on XOC while ago about someone with the same problem. The Dealer changed the belt and I think it went away.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I believe it might be the belt tensior that is causing the problem. I missed my appointment the other week so I need to make another one. Not sure when. I have to get them to fix the window, the ac compressor line is coming loose again and when ever the belt gets wet it squeals.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine didn't get wet. Just the opposite, its been bone dry & dusty for the last few days. Plus I went out shooting on a dusty desert trail on Saturday, don't think its a Wet problem here.

Luckily I just got setup at work with VPN access so I can work from home tomorrow, otherwise I'd bemore pissed about taking a day off.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
RiNkY said:
Luckily I just got setup at work with VPN access so I can work from home tomorrow, otherwise I'd bemore pissed about taking a day off.
Nothing like getting to work in your underwear.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yupp, there really is no reason at all why half of the people who work here are actually here in the building. 99.9% of my job can be done from home over VPN.

·
on line
49 Posts
My belt started squeaking a while back (at about the 5000 mile point) and I asked the dealer to check the belt and the tensioner. They replaced the belt and I haven't had a problem since.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer replaced the belt and tensioner.

Refused to look at the other high rev gear change / rattling issue as they want me to remove the aftermarket tow hitch first, as it occasionally rattles against the exhaust (Dumbasses).

·
on line
3,217 Posts
RiNkY said:

Refused to look at the other high rev gear change / rattling issue as they want me to remove the aftermarket tow hitch first, as it occasionally rattles against the exhaust (Dumbasses).
You're kidding right? I hope that your hitch doesn't rattle. If that is the case then why didn't they tighten everything down and go from there?

G

·
dan galusha said:
RiNkY said:

You're kidding right? I hope that your hitch doesn't rattle. If that is the case then why didn't they tighten everything down and go from there?
i don't think tightening the hitch hardware would prevent the tail pipe from coming in contact with the hitch.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No - the hitch itself doesn't rattle. Its just real close to the exhaust, which when you crank the engine sometimes rattles against the hitch. I might try losening the hitch however and see if I can't adjust it a little away from the exhaust. If not, then I guess I'm just gonna have to buy a new muffler! :)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Back to belts.
Mine squeaks like the whore you had last night!
Did your dealer have a belt in stock?
I been waiting like 5 Days.
Back in the old days, we would have took a belt off a new car and transferred it until one came in and just replaced the harvested one.

Anyone ever find an aftermarket Gator type belt let me know. If this belt is only lasting 5 to 15 K when a belt like this should last at least 100K
There is something wrong with the materials of the belts they use.
I have a Cadillac the belt started to squeak at like 140K It was still good as far as looks, but squeaked. I expect at least 100K out of a belt.

Dan, was the belt your problem or was it the tension er?

MC

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I think it's the belt. It does it a lot when it gets wet and what not. I say that because it goes away after it dries off.

·
on line
134 Posts
Funny how people are talking about the squeeky belt when wet.... About a week ago my belt started to sing out so when I got home I just hit it with a quick shot from the hose (awfully dirty in the engine compartment) and since then no problems. Usually I've found that dust is more likely the culprit. On the same note, my squeeky rear suspension was most likely due to the same issue. While I had the hose handy I managed to coerce about 10 lbs of WV mud out of the radiator, skidplates and suspension components. Didnt realize I still had so much of the crap around.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea, My dealer ordered the belt, by time it came it, it stopped. Mechanic said "Contamination" was the culprit. Makes sense, as i did clean it with orange clean and it stopped shortly after that, Like a day or so. Hot Rod it a bit, It will stop.
I don't think it's the tensioner, because if you squirt the belt the noise changes. If it was the tensioner, it wouldn't change the noise. MC

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine has been fine since they replaced the belt (Yes they had it in stock) and the tensioner. Put about 2.5k miles on her since then.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts