Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I just recently bought a 2005 X that had been sitting for quite a few months. within a couple days of owning it the serpentine belt went and get wrapped around the fan. I replaced the belt with a brand new one and it was silent for about a day before it started squealing. I think the squealing is coming from the power steering pump pulley but I’m not to sure.

I have tried belt dressing but that seemed to make it worse!

can someone tell me a fix for this? It’s starting to get quite annoying!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've never had success with belt dressing. It mostly makes a mess of everything.
Try a few shots of carb cleaner or brake cleaner. WATCH YOUR EYES, that stuff comes at you fast.
The tensioner and idler pulley many times need replacement by the time the belt fails.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
If you want a quiet serpentine belt, purchase a Continental Elite Poly V belt.

How to diagnose a belt squeak.

Reactions: RamTest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the help . I have a brand new tensioner that came with the car when I bought it. I might just throw it on and see what happens

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok thanks for the help . I have a brand new tensioner that came with the car when I bought it. I might just throw it on and see what happens
While you have the belt off, spray down all of the pulleys with brake cleaner. The get contaminated over time with oil, coolant, etc. They need to be clean.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
^^^^
True (y) (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I replaced the tensioner and cleaned all of the pulleys. Still squealing!! I have looked around and can’t seem to find any elite ploy b belts. Are they discontinued?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok I replaced the tensioner and cleaned all of the pulleys. Still squealing!!
If you have a new belt, new tensioner, and clean pulleys, it's not likely a slipping squealing belt. More likely an idler pulley or alternator bearing. When you rotate the idler pulley by hand, it should be smooth as butter. Any roughness or looseness, it's toast.
A 3-ft length of garden hose, or clear tubing same diameter, makes a great stethoscope for getting to the source of that noise. Just watch out for the fan.
If you don't have tubing, you can buy it by the foot at Lowes/Home Depot/etc

Don't drive around much until this is resolved. If that pulley seizes you will lose your belt minutes after.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Ok I replaced the tensioner and cleaned all of the pulleys. Still squealing!! I have looked around and can’t seem to find any elite ploy b belts. Are they discontinued?
Search for a "Continental 4070872"
The pic online sellers use may have a standard ribbed belt, but mine arrived as the elite poly v

·
on line
2007 Xterra Off Road (stock)
25 Posts
Check the routing of the belt to make sure you're putting it back on properly. It is possible to get it slightly wrong and have it around the fan in the wrong direction and still seem like it is fitting. I made that mistake once in haste and it will start normal but under load when the fan clutch locks and the fan starts fighting against the wind that belt will scream.

·
Registered
38 Posts
HI, I'm not an expert mechanic, but my friend works for the CA department of Motor Vehicles as an Inspector. He fixed my "00" Xterra when the timing belt broke. While I assisted him he pointed out all the things that needed to be replaced. Lessons learned. When my stock "06" turned 180K miles I thought it was time to change things like he did on my "00". So I instructed my mechanic to just change everything...(i'm 70 now and no longer feel like crawling under or around the engine, lol)...to my surprise there were three tensioners on that "06". Well, short story is that I have been trouble free for the last 80k miles. No squeaks, grinding or squeals. The "00" 4x4 is my daily driver here in Idaho and the "06" 4x4 is what I call my luxury off-road driver. I never skimp on servicing my vehicles and only use OEM parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts