Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Automatic 2005 Off-Road with around 125k miles on it. Within the last week or so a pretty loud "squealing" noise has started to occur when I'm accelerating. It kinda sounds like when you put a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle and gets faster as I accelerate. It doesn't occur when revving the engine in Park, only when I'm in Drive. (Also doesn't happen in Reverse.)

I had the front brakes done about 3 weeks ago, but doesn't really sound like it's coming from there and I would assume if it were brakes it would be constant, or at least would occur when I press the brakes in.

Any leads would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sound clip? Noises can be extremely hard to diagnose. Have you felt all 4 wheels after driving to see if one is noticeably hotter? With nothing else to go on, I would say it's either a wheel bearing or a CV joint. Check the CV boots, if one is ripped, that is likely to be your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try to get a sound clip this evening when I get back to the house. I haven't checked to see if any of the wheels are hotter than the others. I'm kinda wary of driving it until I this fixed so I've been driving the backup vehicle for a few days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where would those be located? Do they look pretty much the same as the ones posted above, only a little smaller? If so, then I did take a look at those and they were intact also..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had this repaired this morning. Ended up being the "Right Front U-Joint on the Rear Drive Shaft". $40 for part and $75 for labor.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts