Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like I'm not the only one that has been a little frustrated with the squeaky back door panel.

Everytime I'm at Nissan I ask them to fix it, and they replace some new part claiming that was the part that was causing the problem, only to have the squeak still there as I leave the dealer, or return within days.

Anyways, figured I'd take a whack at fixing the problem that was different from others approaches. If this doesn't work I'll be trying something else since this drives me nuts!

What I did was take off the rear door panel. This is accomplished by removing 2 screws in the handle and 2 screws under the First Aid kit. Then the whole panel just pops off it you pry around all the outside edges. I attached 1/4" thick spongy foam to all the posts in the middle of the panel that I figured are supporting the door while rubbing. I just hot glued them on. 7 pieces total.

The 2 posts in the center of the cover that are nearest the motor for the rear wiper already had felt on them. I removed the felt before gluing on the foam.

Check out the pics. I'll let you know how it worked in the next few days.

Before

After

·
Registered
373 Posts
yes, I also get that squeaky noise in the back I always have to pop it back in for it to stop. Will take the panel off as well and fix it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My squeaks are usually the result of one of the top clips coming loose. When they break free it is metal on metal. Drives me nuts. That seems to be one of the side affects of replacing the shocks with tougher aftermarket ones. I sometimes end up shutting it a little harder than necessary and that probably pops it loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Handle Screw is stripped

Any idea how to get the screw holding the handle in place on the back door panel if it is stripped and a socket wrench of the right size wont fit into the slot?

Might just take it into the dealer and have them replace the screw.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Any idea how to get the screw holding the handle in place on the back door panel if it is stripped and a socket wrench of the right size wont fit into the slot?

Might just take it into the dealer and have them replace the screw.
Ratcheting box end wrench :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've not delt with this exact problem, but here was my fix for something similar.

Purchase a torx set such as the one I posted below
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-mni-star-tamper-proof-key-set-97469.html

Choose a drill bit which is just under the same size as one of your torx bits.

Drill into the screw head ever so slightly to allow the torx bit to be inserted with force.
Attempt to remove screw,
If slippage take place, hold your torx bit at an angle to bind it against the screw and try again.

This should either remove your screw, or thoroughly mess things up.

Last attempt would be to progressively drill out the head of the screw, remove the panel and then remove the screw afterwards.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My back door has been squeaking like crazy for about 3 months. I've been trying to track it down by systematically removing everything from the trunk. This last weekend I narrowed it down to the outside lever/handle. I'm totally gonna open up the door panel this weekend and have as look.
Before you tear the whole hatch apart, try sticking some small felt pads, .125 -.25 inch thick, on the points where the rubber bumpers meet the body. Get the pads with self sticky stuff on them. You should be able to find them at WalMart or a hardware store.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Before you tear the whole hatch apart, try sticking some small felt pads, .125 -.25 inch thick, on the points where the rubber bumpers meet the body. Get the pads with self sticky stuff on them. You should be able to find them at WalMart or a hardware store.

Thanks Brunnie! That was the cheapest, most simple fix of all time!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Thanks Brunnie! That was the cheapest, most simple fix of all time!
You're welcome. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what the squeak was. The nice part is that in the future the fix is quick, simple, and CHEAP!! :wink:

Mine has lasted for over a year now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts