Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been slowly driven towards insanity due to a squeak that I have been hearing at speeds usually above 40mph, but only while driving in a straight line.

I have noticed though that when I make turns or follow curves in the road the squeak disappears, only to return while driving straight. I initially thought sway bar end links, but they are on tight and there is no play.

Im thinking maybe ball joints or wheel bearings? Anyone have any ideas?? Insanity continues to knock at my door... :tard:

·
on line
367 Posts
Check your sway bar frame mount bushings. Pull them down and clean them of debris. Put a little grease on them when you put them back together.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I have been slowly driven towards insanity due to a squeak that I have been hearing at speeds usually above 40mph, but only while driving in a straight line.

I have noticed though that when I make turns or follow curves in the road the squeak disappears, only to return while driving straight. I initially thought sway bar end links, but they are on tight and there is no play.

Im thinking maybe ball joints or wheel bearings? Anyone have any ideas?? Insanity continues to knock at my door... :tard:
The fact that it goes away when turning sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Whats your milage? Mine started going bad around 80,000mi.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Don't wheel bearings hum instead of squeak? I'm thinking of an improper brake job that's causing it to squeak?

Have you had your brakes done recently?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mileage is at 91k.. I have wheel bearings in my future for sure, but its really only when driving over anything other than perfectly smooth pavement.

I know the wheel bearings are worn because Im beginning to feel and hear a bit of a soft "grrrrrrrr" noise while taking a turn at a faster than normal speed. I had the same issue on my Camaro when the hubs were going out on it.

Im wondering if it is a shock or maybe even a motor mount?

The brakes are good. They werent done too long ago at a nissan dealership, before I got the car (but I have the service records)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts