Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 4x4.

I have a mystery squeak coming from my front passenger suspension or wheel.

I have checked the brake pads, and they are not cracked.

Rotors are not scratched or scored.

I checked the heat shield on the inside side of the rotor, but it doesn't seem to be bent into the rotor at all.

It squeaks sometime while driving forward slowly, but most of the time when I make a right turn at lower speeds.

I apologize for the somewhat vague clues here, but I'm having a hard time finding anything more to help me figure it out.

I would really appreciate any help y'all have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
applying brakes neither causes nor stops the noise.

How would I test lower ball joints? Approx time to complete that job?

I checked the boots around that assembly, and they were all intact.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
i doubt its a ball joint. jack the truck up one wheel at a time and check for play. grab it at 12 and 6 and wiggle back and fourth. if there is play that means the wheel bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. a bad wheel bearing could cause squeaking as you describe, especially when turning the wheel in one direction vs the other. if you grab the wheel at 3 and 9, and there is play, that means its somewhere in the steering/tie rods. I dont think its the tie rods. probably a wheel bearing, or something to do with the brakes. you can check the clips that hold the pads in, they may be rubbing the rotor, who knows. I would check this stuff and report back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. Will do.

When you say "play," do you just mean the whole wheel and time wiggling at all?

Am I correct in checking the boots for tears and consequent ball joint failure?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
thanks. Will do.

When you say "play," do you just mean the whole wheel and time wiggling at all?

Am I correct in checking the boots for tears and consequent ball joint failure?
when I say play, I mean like it will feel loose. you will notice if its bad. if you are unsure if there is play, then its probably fine. you could also try and spin each wheel individually to see if you can recreate the squeek.

as for the ball joints, just because the boot isnt torn, doesn't necessarily mean the ball joint is fine. you could check at the ball joints as well when you check each wheel for play, but i doubt that is the issue.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Is it a squeak (brief), squeal (constant), or more of a grinding sound? Does it change with speed? Does it manifest when coasting in neutral? How about when stopped?

Today I realized my squeal/grind was a brake pad pin that had bent so that it was scraping the rotor.

Yes, "play" means movement where there shouldn't be. Wouldn't hurt to check your CV boots and anything else you can think of.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Does it go away when you are in 4wd? Have you removed the front drive shaft to see if it is possibly coming from there. What are the speed in which it happens. Are you able to easily replicate it? How many miles do you have on your vehicle? How often do you get the noise? How long ago did you get the brakes done? Do you get the noise when applying the brakes? Does it happen on flat surfaces or when going over a bump?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
squeak, not squeal.

Speed doesn't seem to make a difference, but I can only hear it when I'm going slow enough to - around 15-25 mph.

yes when coasting in neutral. No noise when stationary.

I haven't tried 4wd. I have not pulled the front drive shaft.

I can most easily replicate it by turning right at low speeds.

79k miles.

Regularly under the described conditions.

Did front rotors and pads 3 months ago.

Applying brakes makes no difference.

I get it on flat surfaces, I can try to find a bump to test it tomorrow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just sounds like the typical squeaky X. They come from the factory squeaking I swear.

I get those EXACT symptoms time to time.... When I do I just hit all the front suspension components with grease and all is silent again.

I agree with Ducatidom focus on lubing the lower ball joint when lubing the front, it might not be damaged but they sure get squeaky.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I bet you have the famous XTerra "hood squeak". Try putting some duct tape on the little metal bar latch that engages the hook mechanism (temporary fix), OR loosen the 3 bolts that hold your hood latch to the frame by 1 turn each, push down on it (will drop maybe 1/16" onto the bolts) and re-tighten the bolts. That's how I fixed mine permanently. It will tighten up your latch system so the hood doesn't squeak any more. There is a how-to somewhere on here, just search for "hood squeak"

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Check your brakes to make sure nothing is rubbing. Possibly a warped rotor, but you should feel that when you apply the brake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This was from a while ago, but I thought I would post the solution.

Front right brake pad was not moving freely, causing contact with the rotor.

Took out brake pad, filed down the length a little so it fit in the bracket better. Squeak gone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this sounds absurd, but check your roof rack right above the driver seat. I removed my roof rack after stumbling on the squeak one day while cleaning it. Hasn't squeaked since....although I am still about half tempted to dump that turd in a lake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Squeek

I have had a very annoying squeak coming from the front of my 2005 Off Road. I looked everywhere and it too sounded like it was coming from the lower right front of the truck. Eventually I tried putting some wheel bearing grease on the little bar (loop?) of metal that the hood latch snaps onto when closing and the squeak went away.

I have no idea if this will work for you but I have been driving a much more enjoyable truck since stumbling onto this simple fix.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts