Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

been looking around for a few weeks now, getting ready to do a few mods soon, but i had a question...

i am looking at a springs and shackles lift kit, now, i am no mechanic...unfortunately...so i was called a local offroad shop about an install, the mechanic said he could not give me an exact price on the install but it could be up to $700.....

needless to say i was a little shocked, i expected $300 at most....any of youu guys who had a similar type of kit installed can you give me some feedback....i have another shop i will call in a few days, but i was just wondering if my expected price is too low, or if someone knew of a good shop to do an install around the baltimore, md, area!

Thanks all!

·
on line
8 Posts
No ways that kit should cost anywhere north of $300, including an alignment, installed. I found my installer thru tirerack.com, give that system a try, their customers give feedback on the installers. It was a blind shot in the dark for me, but it worked out really good and now I have a reliable local mechanic, at least for suspension and stuff.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
If there's a Harbor Freight near you you'll find some pretty cheap China-made jack stands and hydralulic jacks. You ought to walk out for less than $100. A bit of scrap lumber and a few common wrenches and you'll be set for life.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the problem isn't jacking it up and swaping out the shackles and rear shocks, it's the front springs....i don't exactly have the tools to compress the springs, nor do i have time to tear the truck apart, run to a shop, wait for them to compress the new springs and go back and re-install....working five days a week and going to school 4 days a week kinda eats up all my time, i find it a lot easier to have someone else do it while i'm at work or school....plus if i were to do it i would have to wait until my spring break and do it them, and i'm planning on an offroading/camping trip that week!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Do everything yourself EXCEPT the spring part. go to a local po-dunk rundown shop and take the AC spring with you (before you start the install). Ask them how much they would charge to put the new spring on your old strut. If they cant do it, try the next shop down the street. Make sure to tell them you will be brining ONLY the spring/strut assembly not the whole truck. The reason why you should bring the spring is because some shops dont have the equipment to compress the AC spring (the coils are really close together). I did that and the shop charged me $20 per spring.

They swapped them out for me, and i took them back and did the rest myself.

** I am no longer running this setup!**

1 - 8 of 8 Posts