Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like stupidity has already returned to our public lands with the return of spring.

First, an idiot dad carves his name in Corona Arch for a selfie with his wife and kids (great example, huh?).
https://www.reddit.com/r/nationalparks/comments/87sq21/vandalizing_corona_arch_for_a_photo/
http://www.moabsunnews.com/news/article_f9dccace-3363-11e8-ad33-2ff57ac8a338.html

Then an impatient jeeper thinks he can blaze his own cross-country trail to jump to the front of the line.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1328590440495477/permalink/1826553567365826/

If any of you encounter similar stupidity, do us all a favor and make sure those responsible will be held accountable. This crap rubs me wrong in so many ways...

“This is why we can’t have nice things.”

·
TNX Veteran
3,609 Posts
Just recently after getting out of the Redwood National Forest in CA, I was getting gas. Some dude complimented my truck and we were BSing about tires. Well as he's done the tailgate on his Toyota drops open and reveals a chainsaw. He tells me he goes and cuts those big knots off of old growth redwoods and sells them online for $200.

I was very uneasy but didn't know what to do. I wish I would have taken a pic of his plate, but idk if you can do anything with one person's word against another. It has bothered me since.

·
TNX Veteran
4,003 Posts
Just recently after getting out of the Redwood National Forest in CA, I was getting gas. Some dude complimented my truck and we were BSing about tires. Well as he's done the tailgate on his Toyota drops open and reveals a chainsaw. He tells me he goes and cuts those big knots off of old growth redwoods and sells them online for $200.

I was very uneasy but didn't know what to do. I wish I would have taken a pic of his plate, but idk if you can do anything with one person's word against another. It has bothered me since.
My opinion....

Always speak up. Take photo's, say something directly, anything... just do something.

We cannot continue to let ignorant turds and selfish morons ruin nature's beauty, and destroy OUR public lands, and blatantly steal what belongs to all of us, regardless of what it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cutting off the redwood burls is a big business...people make coffee tables out of them. However, it doesn't do the tree any good at all...the bark is what protects the tree and this guy is leaving a gaping hole in the bark that can allow the tree's heartwood to be attacked by insects or disease.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Not much you can do as proof, repeating what he said is hearsay and they couldn't nail him just on that. Best option I could think of is writing down his plate number and telling some official that might care enough to investigate him. No idea how that would play out in the real world though :dontknow: but at least you would feel that you did something.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My opinion....

Always speak up. Take photo's, say something directly, anything... just do something.

We cannot continue to let ignorant turds and selfish morons ruin nature's beauty, and destroy OUR public lands, and blatantly steal what belongs to all of us, regardless of what it is.
Here's a good example where Rob's good advice to take photos and say something did result in the vandals being identified.

https://idahostatejournal.com/members/east-idaho-family-facing-backlash-for-reportedly-defacing-corona-arch/article_06e2e5fe-de1a-5094-a557-95e53287525d.html

Hopefully his apology has some sincerity behind it and isn't merely B.S. damage control for him and his company... though it smells like something that is only happening because he got caught and is getting blasted online.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a good example where Rob's good advice to take photos and say something did result in the vandals being identified.

https://idahostatejournal.com/members/east-idaho-family-facing-backlash-for-reportedly-defacing-corona-arch/article_06e2e5fe-de1a-5094-a557-95e53287525d.html

Hopefully his apology has some sincerity behind it and isn't merely B.S. damage control for him and his company... though it smells like something that is only happening because he got caught and is getting blasted online.
I'm glad he got caught. Not sure about the sincerity either. Supposedly he sent his sons change the license plates on his truck before leaving--sounds like he knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
We'll see plenty more stupidity in the Moab area at GONE again I'm sure!

All the idiot motorcycle and Side x Side riders, that think they can just cross- country anywhere they want thru the Cryptobiotic soil is astounding!
Do they all really not KNOW?

Then the idiots who defaced Top of the world with permanent makers, writing their hashtags everywhere.

Defacing petroglyphs, carvings in the sandstone...

Stupidity is not a career choice!

(head in hands, shakes head)

·
TNX Veteran
4,003 Posts
More stupidity close to home. I understand the temptation of throwing rocks into water, but this drives me bonkers as a scientist. Don't pry up and throw rocks with dinosaur trackways into the lake!

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=1070&sid=46315317&title=dinosaur-tracks-at-utah-park-dislodged-thrown-into-lake
There is a huge part of me that wishes "an eye for an eye" was the law of the land. I'd be first in line to throw their sorry asses in the drink (with a large stone tied to their feet). :violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

I have no patience for, no understanding of, and very real feelings of violence when I see and or read about such selfish, ignorant acts of irreversible destruction.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
TNX Veteran
3,609 Posts
Seriously? What is wrong with people? Angels Landing trail, Zion NP.
Wow... that is one of the most popular trials in the park. I have a few questions:

1. Why does he think that anyone cares about his stupid page more than the scenery of this park?
  2. Did he think that this would not be traced back to him?
  3. Because of the popularity of this trail, SOMEONE had to see this happening. How did no one say anything or stop him?
Very frustrating. Even as a younger person myself, I can't stand a good chunk of my peer group when it comes to social media. Some people really think they are a lot more important than they are.

It's nice to see that they at least came forward and owned up to it (though I don't they had much of a choice).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Is that actually on the trail? It kinda looks to me like an MS Paint or PS paintover a pic. If so that's f'ed up.

Wow... that is one of the most popular trials in the park. I have a few questions:

1. Why does he think that anyone cares about his stupid page more than the scenery of this park?
  2. Did he think that this would not be traced back to him?
  3. Because of the popularity of this trail, SOMEONE had to see this happening. How did no one say anything or stop him?

Very frustrating. Even as a younger person myself, I can't stand half my peer group when it comes to social media. Some people really think they are a lot more important than they really are.
We live in an age where the only thing people care about are social media likes and the like. Where you need the name brand stuff and show off your Instagram! Where "Overlanding" is in and 10 lightbars will net you likes and followers. Screw everyone else and rules it's all about "me" and my followers!

Keep in mind we live in a day and age where teens will eat Tide Pods, snort condoms and do random internet "challenges" for social likes and think society owes them everything due to be raised in the "everyone gets a trophy" era of school.

·
TNX Veteran
3,609 Posts
That looks more like a photo shop than actual defacing, but i could be wrong, either way its dumb.
I thought the same about photoshop lol. But the other pic they linked to in the story shows it off better:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 75 Posts