Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, problem solved already, but wanted to share.

had my roof lights installed well over a year and half ago, had a problem when it rained, but quickly solved the issue with some goo.

well, last week it rained like 4 days straight, and as i was driving, it was like a waterfall out of my map lights..... not really, but one hell of a trickle.

so today I was able to pull the roof box off and the air damn, and come to find that the rain channels were soo full of leaves and dirt, that it must have been a pool up there and found a way in through the wires.

so i cleaned it all out, re applied some sealant to the wires and hole, and then put the screws back in the roof. Figured it really needs a good washing up top, but had to wait for the seal to dry before washing. so i'm not going toppless, but figure more like a bikini top..

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Yeah the whole Topless or Bikini top thing is a Jeep thing. If you want to have a bikini top I got a sawzall and can help you out. ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i figured that when people take their roof rack off their xterra's, and they call it going topless, since i only took off the basket and the air damn off, figured it wasn't totally topless. so going topless isn't just a jeep thang..

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i just finished cleaning up the roof and did a huge water test to make sure it's all sealed up... no leaks!! So i washed to top of the roof, scrubbed my lights really good while I was up there, and scrubbed my wheels really good while I was in the mood. Then I hosed her down again. still no leaks. so i'll give it another day or two and then i'll put the air damn and basket back up.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Aside from all of the dirt and leaves trapped under there over the years - did you see any rust form? I have always wondered about this on mine and didn't want to find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts