Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen someone make a split tailgate for an x-terra? I'm not necessarily suggesting cutting the tailgate in half, but rather having a board (or whatever) that drops out to create a tailgate similar to a truck when opening the x-terras trunk door.

Something similar to the BMW X5 tailgate.

http://epautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/gatedown.jpg

or the Range Rover tailgate.

http://carreviewsandnews.com/images/2004rangerover16.jpg

Anyone have any links or something of that nature?

Am I crazy for thinking this?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I like the idea of the interior flip-down or slide-out panel (and it could be very easy to do - could even bolt into the utili-tracks and be removable). I wonder what its utility would be on the X though. I suppose it could help with loading, but the bumper lip is not very far from the edge of the cargo area floor and can function in that manner.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You could with a little fab work, set up a drop down (jumper seat) on the inner part of the swing arm. (Back side of the tire). When you swing out your tire arm you can fold down the 'seat' and use that as well.

I've been toying with the idea when I go to build my bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you just want a platform for stuff there are much easier ways to go about this... 3/4" plywood on utilitrack would make a great pullout table/platform, for instance - could even adhere laminate top to it or something.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
If you just want a platform for stuff there are much easier ways to go about this... 3/4" plywood on utilitrack would make a great pullout table/platform, for instance - could even adhere laminate top to it or something.
Get some heavy-duty shelf slides, that ****'ll pop right out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the basis of this is something to sit on post-run, or at a tailgate party, etc. In essence it would have to support the weight of two people basically.
My thought is to have it either hinge out or slide out and then use straps to connect back somewhere in the truck for support similar to a truck tailgate. I should mention I just bought a 2012 stock x and am not planning on too many mods in the near future due to funds.

The idea is to take a 1" thick x 1' wide board wrapped in auto cloth (length would be of the bumper), have it rest on the bumper and use straps connected from the back seats with 1" nylon straps and climbing carabiners, and then use the lip of the trunk and bumper to stop the board from moving back/give a little bit of support with the bumper.

The alternative is to do the same support system with the nylon straps (which could also be attached to the ceiling hooks, theoretically), and as mentioned earlier, have a board attached to the floor rails that slides out. If going that way though, one would want to provide supports for the board to make up the height difference between the bumper and the board.

This is all just spit-balling and I'm open to any ideas.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
GeoXplorer has built a tidy little "tailgate" that flips down from the interior of the cargo area. He uses it to provide a little extra head room while sleeping in the back. And tilted upwards helps to hold gear.

Here is a blurry photo of GeoXplorer in the morning (sorry Dave hope you don't mind;) ) with the tailgate down:

Aluminum angle for support, bolted to the underside cargo area IIRC.
Will easily support two people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! Making progress... So how did he connect the cables back to the truck? And how did he connect the back of the board to the truck?

So many questions! I love it!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
As to the cables, it looks like he used the D-rings located at the back of the truck (normally used for the cargo net). I'll bet they've been replaced with heavy-duty versions though (not hard if you're willing to drill into your truck), the stock ones are plastic and I wouldn't trust them to support my weight.

I looked at his build thread (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26152) and this is all I could find as to the attachment:

Again, theoretically simple if you're willing to cut/drill into your X, though if you play your cards right this could bolt into the utili-tracks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder what the D-rings are attached to. I'm not opposed to drilling into the plastic. It's just plastic, but I want to make sure I have a solid mount. I still wonder if it would be better to just have nylon straps attached to the back seat. Could get frustrating if there's a lot of stuff back there but on the plus side its less invasive.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Thanks TPO!
I did a quick search but didn't turn up his build thread.

I'll bet they've been replaced with heavy-duty versions though (not hard if you're willing to drill into your truck), the stock ones are plastic and I wouldn't trust them to support my weight.
And yes, IIRC, he did replace the stock D-rings. May even have drilled into the pillar behind, but I don't recall.

And yes, this is an invasive procedure. The back of the board is connected to a hinged aluminum angle that is bolted to the metal below the cargo plastic. The cargo plastic is slotted to accommodate the hinges. This design allows for a fully flush installation.

I'm providing this information based on seeing his truck a couple of times and may be misinformed. I would recommend PMing GeoXplorer for full details.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Havent done it but here's what I would do if I had the fabricating skills (some here do so it would be easy) Use the utilitrack eyelets and create a metal bracket with provision for a pin so the eyelet becomes a hinge. Attach the brackets to a plank of whatever size you want. Flod up to close hatch and fold down when hatch is open.

Has anyone ever seen someone make a split tailgate for an x-terra? I'm not necessarily suggesting cutting the tailgate in half, but rather having a board (or whatever) that drops out to create a tailgate similar to a truck when opening the x-terras trunk door.

Something similar to the BMW X5 tailgate.

http://epautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/gatedown.jpg

or the Range Rover tailgate.

http://carreviewsandnews.com/images/2004rangerover16.jpg

Anyone have any links or something of that nature?

Am I crazy for thinking this?

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Use the utilitrack eyelets and create a metal bracket with provision for a pin so the eyelet becomes a hinge. Attach the brackets to a plank of whatever size you want. Flod up to close hatch and fold down when hatch is open.
Neat idea ... in theory.
But in practice I suspect that the levering action creating by the overhanging "tailgate" would pry loose the utilitrack or eyelet.

Someone (other than me :D ) should try this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I'm still thinking the least invasive way would be to just have a board sit directly on the bumper and attach to the backseat clips. I may give it a try this weekend and see if I can't get a mock up going.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
What about a hook that connects behind the rear metal bumper with a brace below the board?
Is that accessible without removing any plastic?

My truck is in the shop otherwise I'd go check.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have no real interest in doing this but if the "tailgate " was used for relatively lightweight items it might work. Steel cables from replacement d rings could act as support.

Neat idea ... in theory.
But in practice I suspect that the levering action creating by the overhanging "tailgate" would pry loose the utilitrack or eyelet.

Someone (other than me :D ) should try this.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned but check out the newer 4runners

Something like that would be simple to build with the tracks already in place on the Xterra and it wouldn't take up much vertical space. I think it's a great idea, I wish Nissan would do it. Sucks reaching way back there to grab something that rolled forward during driving and then your knees are all wet or dirty from the bumper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts