Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2013 xterra owner and I Need suggestions for removing the 4 bolts holding the 2nd wind reflector to the roof rack so I can put on the storage box. When i try to unscrew the bolts, they spin but don't unscrew.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wind deflector is attached to the roof rack not the roof. Any suggestions on how to get the bolts out?

·
on line
288 Posts
Put up a pic of what you're doing . I'm not sure of what a 2nd wind deflector is .
As for the spinning bolts I had this problem when I took off the storage box to clean under it . I took a pair of long nosed locking pliers and reached in and grabbed the spinning threaded female insert to hold it while I broke loose the torx head bolt .
A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS .

·
on line
971 Posts
Nick B,

I think when fredanson is saying 2nd wind deflector, he is talking about the piece that in installed in place of the wetbox for those Xterra's that did not come with the wetboxes. But you're suggestion should provide him with the answer since it still refers to the torx screws that attach the wetbox to the roof rails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hollywood is correct I am trying to remove the piece that is on the rack in place of the wetbox. Im living in the Middle east and the wetbox is not standard equipment here. Ill try the trick with the needle nose pliers and let you know how it goes.

For fun, the local dealer wants to remove the entire roof rack to get better access to the bottom of the bolt to remove them, and my attempts to get info from Nissan have fallen flat. Because I live in the Middle east as a US expat, US Nissan customer service wont pass my query on to someone who could provide information on the best way to remove. Glad there is a forum!!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The wind deflector is attached to the roof rack not the roof. Any suggestions on how to get the bolts out?
I experienced this same issue. If its the nuts I think you are referring to, the ones are attached to the rack and not to the roof.

Knowing that the new wet box replaces the old wind-deflector I had no problem destroying the wind-deflector and old screw. I ended up using a dremel to cut the old deflector up and that gave me enough space to work with the bolt. One I was able to hold with a pair of pliers at the bottom so it wouldn't just spin. That gave me enough pressure to unbolt it. The other I wasn't so lucky and just cut the head off.

GL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts