Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Glad to see a reputable company taking a look at the new Xterra. Sent them some feedback. Having visited their shop and experienced their products first hand on my old Samurai, I can atest to their workmanship and quality. May be a viable source for some custom aftermarket drivetrain goodies, ala front diff whoa's (dreaming). At the least, the spacers maybe a good option for running some black steelies if you could find a set with a deep backspacing to match up to a near-stock offset.

·
on line
369 Posts
mcampana said:
Why is it "bad" to use spacers? Ive never understood it. But then again, i dont know much about spacers other than they are used to fit wheels on your truck that normally wouldnt.
I don't understand that concept either. I had mine custom made. They come with a lifetime warranty. I have had absolutely zero problems with them so far.

·
on line
735 Posts
you want the load of the tire over the centerline of the wheelbearing. still, people have been playing with non original offsets forever.

·
on line
369 Posts
willgr1 said:
they put more pressure on the ball joints and wheel bearings, and some people will notice increased rubbing.
That's to the exact same effect as a wheel with a negative offset and a thick hub mounting surface. No different.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
It is also twice as many lug nuts to forget to check the torque on, especially when they aren't visible. Can't see if a lug nut is loose on a set of spacers. Easily avoided by checking them with more common rotations, though.

·
on line
369 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
It is also twice as many lug nuts to forget to check the torque on, especially when they aren't visible. Can't see if a lug nut is loose on a set of spacers. Easily avoided by checking them with more common rotations, though.
I applied red thread locker to all of the hub threads before bolting the adapters on. Like I've said, it is highly unlikely that any of those lugs will come loose between rotation intervals, or at all.

·
on line
135 Posts
Hello,

Wow, this is an old thread... but the main issue with spacers is making sure your setup remains hub-centric. That is, you want the load of the wheel to be put into the central portion of the hub rather than the lugs. IE, that big fat 2-3" diameter tube-shaped portion of the hub that the wheel would sit on if the lugs weren't there. That part can take enough load to totally smash the wheel without having any problems. Lugs in single sheer, though, can rip right off.

I worked with a race team manager who refused to learn anything from other people and had to cause all the problems himself before he would learn. He had a friend who made high end wheels and tried to put those wheels on our race car. I would not let him since they were not hub-centric (I didn't stay with the team past the endurance race I promised to do). A couple years later, I learned that he put his friend's wheels on a race car and on three occasions during the 24 hour race, the car had to be towed into the pits because a wheel left the car. The 3rd time it happened, it took out the brakes, fender, and a few more parts and it was the end of the race for the team...

Of course, if the hub extends past the spacer or the spacer retains hub-centricity, then it's all good.

Joel

·
on line
1,420 Posts
DOES anyone have pictures of there Xterra with Wheel spacers installed on a set of factory wheels??

I'm curious exactly how it looks sticking out the 1.25 inch thick spacer does to the X..

- J

·
on line
1,442 Posts
I have 2" spacers in the rear to offset the difference of my Titan front suspension..they look fine to me. I dont know if I have any pictures up on this site though. I'll try to find them or post up photos up next week.

·
on line
36 Posts
i know that it is not the stock wheel, these are the spidertrax spacers.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DOES anyone have pictures of there Xterra with Wheel spacers installed on a set of factory wheels??

I'm curious exactly how it looks sticking out the 1.25 inch thick spacer does to the X..

- J

Remember, the spidertrax units are actually bolt pattern adapters, which will change your bolt pattern to 6x5.5. Maybe you're already aware of this and you just like to use the term "spacers" instead.

If you're planning to run a set of OEM Titan/Armada wheels, it should look just fine. The backspacing on those is 5.5" (on a 7.5" wide rim), so still pretty deep. I wish I could find a picture for you.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
what is the center bore required on spacers?? as in our hub bore?

-j

·
on line
1,442 Posts
The centerbore is required for the front wheels so you can access the CV hub nut that keeps the CV attached to the wheelside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts