Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
3,218 Posts
No problem.

They're great for crawling, although they may cause premature wear to your leaf packs via torsional stress. I wouldn't get 'em for a DD, but for sure on a dedicated trail rig..
See? I can help.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
DBAX said:
No problem.

They're great for crawling, although they may cause premature wear to your leaf packs via torsional stress. I wouldn't get 'em for a DD, but for sure on a dedicated trail rig..
See? I can help.
premature anything can't be good

·
on line
776 Posts
SPHERICAL

IT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD PRODUCT, & THE THEORY BEHIND IT SEEMS PRETTY GOOD! BE THE PIONEER FOR OUR X MARK. THEN IF YOUR TRUCK DOESNT BREAK, WE'LL BUY EM....

·
on line
8,599 Posts
No problem.

See? I can help.
How can it cause premature failure do to torsional stress when its designed to relieve torsoinal stress?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Tehy should not cause any problems with the leafs themselves, but I can see the joint wearing out a lot faster than a bushing. Are they greasable? Are they rebuildable?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
The biggest problem with those uniballs-in-a-spring is that the bearing is very small and the bolts are very long and the bolts tend to bend then the bearing wants to fail. We have run them in our race trucks for a long time, and they do work well, but just not for long. If the leaf were made with a much bigger wrap, to accept a bigger bearing, that would be a great option.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Greg,

What if they were machined more like this.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/30quot-Ultra-Duty-BALLISTIC-Joint_p_1507.html

The misalignment spacers are actually a machined part of the ball. This might prevent the bolts from bending since the entire ball would have to fail first.
That is exactly why we like to run misalignement spacers, but the biggest issue is that the springs run a relativly small wrap on the end...typically 1.75 ID. Lets assume you want to run at least a 1" uniball....this requires a HUGE wrap. Even a 7/8" uniball requires a very large wrap. Here are a couple pics to show what Im talking about. But, I think the uniball bushing is a great idea, it just needs more refinement.

Notice this is a 1" uniball with 1" to 9/16" mis-spacers...compared to a Deaver spring bushing...they are just about the perfect width...and these can be machined to about any dimension though. But notice the OD...this is where the problem lies. You can see a regular 1" uniball cup....this is supposed to fit "inside" the wrap...or be the same size as the minor on the spring bushings....that would make for one large spring eye. I did check against a HUGE set of Chevy springs and it looks as though those can fit a 7/8" uniball cup...these are quite a bit smaller than the 1" cups.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts