Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a little weird, but I noticed the speedo in my 12 X reads consistently slower than my GPS.. Is that normal? And which would you think would be more accurate?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AH HA!!!! That would explain it and the absence of speeding tickets on my run to the border a couple of weeks ago!
Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
It reads 4% fast. That's the difference between the S tire OD and the ProX OD.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I dunno, mine seems to read fast all the time. The other day it was showing 120 kms/hr in a 90 zone. It keeps doing that and I don't know why ....

·
Registered
504 Posts
I purchased my X back in 2005 new from the dealer. I just upgraded to 32's on my S and used the GPS reading. It read the same speed as on my speedometer. I figured it would be a little faster but didn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I purchased my X back in 2005 new from the dealer. I just upgraded to 32's on my S and used the GPS reading. It read the same speed as on my speedometer. I figured it would be a little faster but didn't seem to be the case.
A bigger OD tire than what the speedo is calibrated for will read slower, a smaller faster. Since you put a tire on that the speedo is calibrated for, it now reads correctly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Everyone!
Suputin, That might have something to do with a right foot adjustment.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
There's a test mode in the speedometer that will tell you the raw, uncalibrated speed on the digital readout. You hold down the odometer button while starting the vehicle, it will display test, then you can cycle through a number of tests/info.

The speedometer can be calibrated to different tires, but I believe you have to pay the dealer to do it with their computers.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I took my rig to the dealer the other day to see if they could calibrate everything for the 285/75R16 duratracs I had installed. they worked on figuring how they could change that with their consult machine. they even called one of their master techs in a different city and come to fine out that they were not able to change the tire size

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's not the Hypertech programmer that does the change. It's a Hypertech in-line module that you program with a PC, then install between the speedometer and the speedometer cable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah.. It must be something other than the Hypertech. All in all, it's not a big deal. I have adjusted my driving to the speedo difference. At least until I'm ready for new tires.
Thanks to all!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts