Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all the next gens have the speed sensitive steering? I notice at a certain speed, somewhere around 25-30 MPH, it has a slight "choppy" feel to it. Below that or above that it's fine. Anyone else notice this?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Mine is rock solid, with no abnormal ops !!

:geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
97 Posts

·
on line
735 Posts
There is no special steering mode that i know of. Some cars will increase power steering pressure at low speeds and then lower it at hwy speeds for road feel feedback.

Xterras, in general, handle well for a 4 door suv, but the turn in, while good on the corners, is twitchy feeling on the highway. Sometimes I think it has some bumpsteer over rough roads. It seems to be noticeable when I drive something else for a couple of weeks and then get back into my Xterra. It's a tall 4x4 and still handles better than an explorer, even if it doesn't drive as well on the straightaways.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
There is no special steering mode that i know of.
Mike it's true. Electronicaly assisted, speed sensitive rack and pinion steering. I'll find a link, brb..

Other driveline components include engine speed-sensitive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering and 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD).
FROM HERE

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I thought it had it. Maybe after driving a truck with a gearbox, I'm not used to the Rack & pinion but I think the speed sensitive steering is coming into play. I took it out and drove it but you really don't notice it unless you're going over some rough surfaces. Also, I don't think the speed was at 25 mph but slower.

While you're making a turn, you get this slight "chop" or pulse where the steering has more resistance then less then more alternating up and down in resistance giving that choppy feeling in the steering.

Thanks!

·
on line
735 Posts
so it reduces hydraulic steering pressure at higher engine/vehicle speeds. that doesn't sound like a feature, that just sounds like they omitted a pressure regulating device.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, from the 2nd Edition of the Advanced Vehicle Technology book it sounds a little more involved.

“An electronic control unit microprocessor takes in speed frequency signals from the electronic speedometer, this information is then continuously evaluated, computed and converted to an output signal which is then transmitted to the hydraulic transducer mounted on the rotary control valve casing. The purpose of this transducer is to control the amount of hydraulic pressure reaching the reaction piston device based on the information supplied to the electronic control unit.�

The whole point for me being that something is causing this "choppy" pulsation in my steering wheel and it would seem to make sense that this electronic speed-sensitive steering COULD be the culprit.

·
on line
735 Posts
ok ok..so it is a variable pulse width or frequency control to bypass pressure. I've never noticed anything with mine, but it doesn't get very cold in San Diego Co. Maybe you should flush your system out with some synthetic steering fluid..maybe yours ingested moisture or something.

I was thinking backwards on it. If you lose the pulse signal, it will go to full pressure probably and be really light feeling.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I was thinking of putting in synthetic. I will eventually go fully synthetic on all the fluids. I hope I don't have moisture in there being it only has about 1100 miles on it but who knows. It has been really cold here (even for Tucson) going below freezing at night so maybe it could be a little squirrely in the cold. I'll keep and eye on it or better yet my hands...LOL...and see how it goes.

·
on line
139 Posts
I'm not sure if this falls exactly along the same lines as what you are talking about, but I've found that at highway speeds I have more steering issues. There's a noticable "dead zone" in the steering wheel, and as a result I have to constantly correct my steering. I don't expect this SUV to handle like a sports car, but I do feel like I'm making corrections more than I should be.

D-Rock

·
on line
238 Posts
Dezurtrat,
First, check that you are not in 4 wheel drive (yes, silly to mention, but could be left on accidentally). If that isn't an issue. Take it to your dealer and have them check it over and check the alignment. They can come from the dealer with an alignment issue. It's not unheard of. What you are describing is not normal and should be addressed under warrenty. I've heard as well that alignment issues will only be dealt with for very low miles such as what you have, so I wouldn't dally on getting your dealer to look at it.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, good advice turtle. I think it's a plan!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts