Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine bought an 03 Xterra a week or so before I bought my 07.
His is the supercharged version.
He has been going on and on about how his (stock) has 285 hp and is "faster" and better than my new truck.
I became curious and looked up the specifications to find that the supercharged version has quite a bit less power than the 4.0L.
In the interest of competitive nature I exposed his mistake.
He replied with "Mine happens to be special edition that they were testing the new engine with a supercharger"-and a great many expletives.
I searched and searched to find any information on this "special edition"
but could find nothing.
Anyone know anything about this?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I would say your friend is trying to be cooler than you. I have never heard of it but then again I have only be in the Xterra world for about 6 months now.

Maybe he added a few more hamsters to the mix.

·
on line
429 Posts
I doubt it, but I've only been in the X scene for a couple years now. A race should clear things up though.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
May I ask how old you guys are? ;)

The first gen X (even the SC versions) 2000-2004 had a lot less power than the second gen X 2005-2007. They have totally different engines and really the only thing that is the same is the name. I don't think there are many parts that will even fit between the different versions.

If he still thinks his has more power...point out that you are are producing 261HP on 87oct gas where he has to run primium. :)

If he still doesn't beleive. Take the two down to a tuner shop and throw them on the dyno. Who ever has the least amount of HP has to pay for the dyno. Trust me...he'll be paying.

·
on line
57 Posts
Dbling said:
.....He has been going on and on about how his (stock) has 285 hp and is "faster" and better than my new truck....."Mine happens to be special edition that they were testing the new engine with a supercharger"-and a great many expletives.
Hahahaha, sounds like the makings of a good old-fashioned pissing contest. Go ahead, let your friend think he is right, then turn and piss on his shoe. :iconbiggrin:

·
on line
589 Posts
"· Available in three engine configurations - factory-installed supercharged 3.3-liter V6 engine producing 210 horsepower and 246 lb-ft of torque (A/T)/231 lb-ft (M/T), retuned 180-horsepower 3.3-liter V6 and a 143-horsepower 2.4-liter 4-cylinder"

Muzik is right, just race the vehicles. If you win then his is stock, if he wins something else was done to his X. Either way there was no other engine config then the three above that I know of.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
muzikman said:
If he still doesn't beleive. Take the two down to a tuner shop and throw them on the dyno. Who ever has the least amount of HP has to pay for the dyno. Trust me...he'll be paying.
X2

This will put his ego six feet under... dont worry your new gen could blow his out of the water!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Erick said:
"Muzik is right, just race the vehicles. If you win then his is stock, if he wins something else was done to his X. Either way there was no other engine config then the three above that I know of.
I wouldn't suggest an all out race. A. it's dangerous B. It's not a good test of power. There is too much driver mistakes.

A dyno will show you the output to the rear wheels, which is good enough to prove or disprove the HP between two different vehicles.

There is a tuner shop in my area that only charges $30 per run on the dyno. At those prices, I think it would be a good bet. I also say that the loser has to buy the next round of beers, but umm...are the two people in question even of age? ;)

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all of your advice and info!
I pretty much knew that already, and he's totally full of crap.
We're both in our mid 20's; about pissing-contest age.
I've been around cars my whole life, and people who are full of shit.
I'm sure you guys know way more about Xterra's than I do, I just wanted to double check my findings.
Since we live in remote northwestern Wyoming, tuner shops are few and far between so I think a race is in order!
Just to add fuel to the fire he sent this:
Forgot to tell you about the goodies I just got in the mail, Gibson dual catback split rear exhaust, K&N stage 3 cold air intake, Downey stainless steel headers, Jones Electronics Technologies performance ECU chip,
WANNA RACE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my reply:
Sounds like some cool stuff. Did you already send your ECU to JET? Did you get it back? How long did it take to get back?
Where did you buy the stuff from, which site?
I have only seen the side-sweep exhaust from Gibson, do you have a link to the split?
I've also only seen one option for cold air from K&N, what's thd stage 3? Link?
I thought Downey only made Toyota parts?
I'd still race, those parts would bring 210 closer to 265, it'd be a good head-to-head.

I want to goad him into a race!

·
on line
1,114 Posts
You could always tell your buddy that the engine in your 07 is a stroked version of the engine in a 350Z. :cheers:

Besides, the 1st Gens are geared really low because they have no low end torque. You'll be done with the run before he grabs 4th gear.

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will race him, and I will win.
For now I'm just having fun exposing the fact that he is blatantly lying to try to look cool. Only trying to look cool to me; someone who knows better.

He isn't answering the questions correctly. He sent me this:
Pink Slips Rookie Biatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll go fast and furious on your ass!!!!!!!!!!!!
And no I am not getting upset, also downey does make parts for nissan also K&N stage three means a bigger cone and longer shaft, also the exhaust is only made for 2002-2004 supercharged xterra performanceproducts.com and dansracing.com

So you don't have to copy and paste; dansracing.com is a link to Miller Motorsports Park in Salt Lake City, they don't sell any parts.
And I have never seen Downey parts for anything but Toyota.
Do any of you Off-Road guys know if Downey makes parts for other makes?

I'll make his socks yellow and his toes warm and wrinkled!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts