Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I have an 05 X with the factory stereo installed(not the Rockford) and my factory speakers are pretty worn out. I want to replace the speakers, but I am not sure what to go with. I DO NOT want to run an amp to the speakers, so would you guys only recommend I go with the factory speakers again? I know most aftermarket speakers require an amp for you to get the best sound out of them. Thanks in advance for the replies. Also, where is the cheapest place to find stock speakers if need be. Oh and finally, what size are the front and rear speakers?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
there are lots of good quality aftermarket speakers that can be powered from the headunit and still sound great!.....for example, my polk audio speakers....i do not power them from an amp and they sound pretty friggin' sweet if i do say so. do some research, most any decent speaker will be an upgrade from the horid stock speakers.....fronts are 6X9 and rears are 6 1/2"...yes, they are backwards from convention setups.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
which polks do you have? basic paper speaker or some 2 or 3 way upgrade?
- j

·
on line
1,361 Posts
don't get a paper speaker and look for rubber surrounds if possible. Rubber tends to be more durable than foam surrounds.

I usually put a new HU in my vehicles but like he said above you can get some decent sound with out amping new speakers. Just look at the ratings on them and make sure you are not getting high power handling speakers

·
on line
1,361 Posts
rms power range is what you are looking for

hit specs on his link above and you can see the range, check that for any one you are looking at and make sure the range dips on the low end if you are not amping.

·
on line
500 Posts
Hi,
My name is Patrick and I'm an audio-aholic.

Decades of learning electronics as a hobby, and listening for change, and by far the best way to buy audio is listen to the speakers (in this case) and see if you hear goodness or the same-old same-old.

There are many speakers that are rated as great speaker, but all I hear when I listen is crap.

Listen before you buy.
Patrick

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lostboy..... do you know around what range rms I should look at? If the speakers are rated at 50 watts rms each, is that okay?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
what they are 'peak' rated at and what their 'range' is are two different things. As far as what is acceptable to run with the stock HU I am not for sure. I don't know how much power it's putting out but I bet it's not a lot.

Anyone know how much juice the factory radio is pushing?

·
on line
71 Posts
The stock stereo puts out a maximum of 20WPC, at 1KHZ all channels driven. That being said, a 50W max rated speaker is more than sufficient.

The silk dome tweeters on those tweeters should sound good, and Polk is definitely an "east coast" sound speaker manufacturer...which means they will be pretty laid back, and not so harsh. I have had several sets of Pold speakers in autos and have liked the sound.

Paper cones are great sounding...but not as durable in high humidity and high vibration environments as plastic cones (i.e. cars), though I doubt you will find a modern paper cone speaker that will fail under normal use 10 years or less.

·
on line
707 Posts
I replaced the stock stereo a couple months ago and even with the stock speakers it sounds much better. Might have to see if I can find some where local to go listen to those speakers.

·
on line
352 Posts
I debate the speaker sizes. I have seen everything from 5 1/4" in the rear and front, to 6 1/2 in the rear etc. The stock speakers are no doubt " 6X9's in the front. Front tweeters are an oddball size for which there is no aftermarket solution without making a custom bracket. The rears are 6 3/4", again no "Sturdy Fitting" after markets

·
on line
30 Posts
If you are going with HU-powered, look for high sensitivity speakers - 90dB or more (Polk etc). Personally, I found the amp and wire VERY easy to install, so please consider it.

For 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" to fit in the rear, go to Scosche's website and find a dealer near you. For $20, I got some 1" spacer rings that allow you to mount a decent speaker in that weird oval hole.

THe solution to front tweeter is buy a 3/4" stainless steel strip 16 GA or so, from a hobby store or Ace Hardware. Cut to about 4" long and bend as needed. Drill 3 holes (2 for mounting screws and one for the tweeter mount screw) and you're done.

·
on line
500 Posts
colo964 said:
THe solution to front tweeter is buy a 3/4" stainless steel strip 16 GA or so, from a hobby store or Ace Hardware. Cut to about 4" long and bend as needed. Drill 3 holes (2 for mounting screws and one for the tweeter mount screw) and you're done.
That's very similart to what I did, but I used "strapping" used for holding ventalation ducts. You can get it at any hardware store and it's pre-drilled.

Patrick

·
on line
114 Posts
colo964 said:
I made mounts out of 1/4" oak. A scroll saw and a dremel made quick work out of it.

·
on line
82 Posts
Dougw133 said:
Can you guys post pics of these tweeter fabs?
Mine's ghetto as heck but I'll get you a photo tomorrow. In a nutshell what I did was use plumbing strap and a bolt to secure the strap to the tweeters' flush mount. I then took that small piece of strap and used the factory screws to mount them in place. I may eventually move them to either the A pillar or the kickpanels.

·
on line
82 Posts
As promised here are a couple shots of the mount I fabbed for the driver's side tweeter in the dash. The passenger side is essentially the same.

·
on line
142 Posts
I didn't even bother with a mounting bracket for my tweeters. They came with a plastic angled housing so I just attached that housing to the plastic dampening material that is right there below the tweeter and the tweeter just drops into the housing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts