Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus of having a stock 265 spare when running 285's? What kind of damage could be done using the slightly smaller spare?

·
on line
809 Posts
Will a 285 spare fit in the stock location? And if it did would you miss the 1" of clearance that it would absorb?

Personally I'm going to keep my factory sized spare until I get a rear bumper that will carry it.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
i really hate reporting without the facts to back it up but i swore i read somewhere about how having a different tire size is bad for the car. especially for off roading in 4wd.

·
on line
264 Posts
yea i heard in 4x4 its real bad especialy if a locker is in engaged because they dont need to make as many revolutions being slightly smaller. you would be ok as long as its not on an engaged wheel while in 4x4

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The size difference between a 268/75R16 and a 285/75R16 is so little that it wouldn't hurt. It's not a good idea to run in 4wd with an unmatched tire though.

And yes, a 285/75R16 will fit in the stock spare location. I had mine there for months before I got the Shrock bumper. Just watch your e-brake lines as the tire can rub on them.

·
on line
139 Posts
sherpa said:
Most vehicles come with unmatching spare tires, so, I would think that there would be no harm if you just use it for few miles.
While this is usually true, my understanding is that the diameter of the spare still matches the diameter of the stock vehicle tires in most cases. This is going to be the most important size measurement when you consider the effects on a differential. For anything more than a few miles you don't want a significant difference in diameter.

D-Rock

·
on line
139 Posts
miles said:
a 265 MTZ and a 265 AT spare shouldnt make a big difference...should it?
I wouldn't think so, but I'm no tire expert either (I'm good with rules of thumb, but not so good with the numbers part). I'm thinking there's a size difference percentage-wise that you should never go beyond, but I'm not sure what it is.

D-Rock

·
on line
3,218 Posts
MT to AT is no big deal for the spare swap, but you should always run the same size.. As has been noted previously, the 285MT will tuck up just fine as a spare

1 - 12 of 12 Posts