Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I bought my 06 X, I thought I had read somewhere that the spare tire came on an alloy wheel, to match the other tires. My Off-Road X has the full-size spare tire on a steel wheel.

I'm assuming that the spare is supplied on a steel wheel, but are there cases where it comes on an alloy wheel?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
- :clown: --Yo dpat-

dpatton said:
Before I bought my 06 X, I thought I had read somewhere that the spare tire came on an alloy wheel, to match the other tires. My Off-Road X has the full-size spare tire on a steel wheel.

I'm assuming that the spare is supplied on a steel wheel, but are there cases where it comes on an alloy wheel?
------------------------

--My '06 OR/MT came with 5 Identical 265/75/16 BFG's and alloy wheels--

-- :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
807 Posts
I dont know if it is the same for the Xterra, but I know for the Frontier's the Nismo's were supposed to come with an alloy spare, but the early models got a steel wheel. Mine came with an alloy, but a lot of guys on (the now defunct) clubfrontier.com had them changed out for an alloy at the dealership at for free.

·
on line
335 Posts
i was reading somewhere, that they started putting alot more of the spares on steel wheels (my OR has an alloy)....

and someone went to the dealer and pointed out on the brochure about his truck supposed to have an alloy spare

the dealer pointed to the fine print...saying 'subject to change at any time'

·
on line
1,479 Posts
my SE came with all alloy

·
on line
44 Posts
thanks to this post, i checked into our 06 or w/steel spare. called dealer (we dont know) but will look into it. in the mean time i called nissan. or package should have alloy spare. nissan gave me a claim number and said if my dealer doesnt make it rite they would give me another dealer to contact. will let u know how long it takes to get the correct spare

·
on line
80 Posts
jp4ever said:
nissan gave me a claim number and said if my dealer doesnt make it rite they would give me another dealer to contact.
That... is hilarious. Nissan doesn't have confidence in its dealers?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I have 6 alloy spare rims for an OR.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
steelies, are they worth it!?

how much are the steelies really worth?
someone have an idea on a price for a set of 4 with the centercaps?
also do you think they are a half decent offroad wheel concidering the thinkness of the metal? im not too worried about the width of the wheel.

voice your opinions.

thanks,

dan

·
on line
1,667 Posts
i just won 4 stock steel rims on ebay but i never thought i was going to win them since i was AFK. $126 shipped. i didnt think that was bad at all.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I have an alloy spare. 05 OR

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have contacted Nissan Canada, and they have confirmed that the 2006
Off-road model should have an alloy wheel for the spare tire.
Now I have to contact the dealer where I purchased my X....

·
on line
65 Posts
yeah i too contacted nissan and they agreed that i should get the alloy spare w/ my 06 X OR. i contacted the dealer and they are trying to wiggl eout of it asking for my claim number etc... nissan customer service sucks!

·
on line
44 Posts
update. nissan is standing behind the ad after the fact. kinda like a silent recall. my dealer said to bring the x in so they could verify i had a steel rim. long story short called another dealer they had no problem believing i did indeed have a steel spare. called my dealer back long story now i have an alloy spare on its way and they even offered to send a driver out to pick up the x and redeliver. so imo dont listen to your dealer insist that a magnet only sticks to steel(had to verify i had a steel rim part of the long story) and make them get you the correct spare. not over yet, but looking up

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I finally have, I think, the full story.
Keep in mind that I'm in Canada, so the
details might be different for US models.

My 2006 Xterra Off-road has the spare tire on a steel rim.

By doing a lookup on my VIN, the local(not where I bought the vehicle) dealership's parts department was able to tell me that the production date for my vehicle is April 2006.

According to the parts department of the dealership where I bought the Xterra, "the spare tire was changed mid-year of production from the alloy wheel to the steel wheel".

According to one of the reps at the Nissan Canada Information Centre (i.e. the 1-800 "help line"), their "manual"(he might have said "Sales Consultant Manual"), which is dated January 2006, states that the SE model comes with an alloy wheel for the spare, but the S and OR models don't say that, therefore they come with a steel wheel for the spare.

Note that in Canada there are only three models of the Xterra - the X model is not available here:
http://nissanusa.com/xterra/
http://nissan.ca/en/vehicles/xterra/index.html

1 - 20 of 56 Posts