Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing some X's on the forum with a Spare Tire Carrier on the rear hatch. How do these hook up? Can anyone show pics of their installation and what did it cost? I would like to get a Pro-4X Spare rim installed on the rear of my S since my factory spare tire is is too small if I get a flat now. Would like a reliable backup plus it also adds to the cool factor of having one on the rear hatch. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Don't think you saw any on the hatch without a very large amount of custom work. This is probably what you have been seeing.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34936

Seriously dude, this is your second thread in less than 24 hours that I've sent a link to for you. I know everyone wants those of us that have been here a little bit longer to be nice and not say "go search" every time...but really, search the forums a little bit. The search function is right by the new post function. Just use key words to find what you want.....OR, use Google and just add "thenewx.org" to your search phrase. It works very well.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Also, you are running 285/75R16 tires correct? (can't remember from the other thread) Either way, all the way up to a 33" (285/75R16) tire will fit in the stock spare tire location. It's a squeeze, but it fits fine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think you saw any on the hatch without a very large amount of custom work. This is probably what you have been seeing.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34936

Seriously dude, this is your second thread in less than 24 hours that I've sent a link to for you. I know everyone wants those of us that have been here a little bit longer to be nice and not say "go search" every time...but really, search the forums a little bit. The search function is right by the new post function. Just use key words to find what you want.....OR, use Google and just add "thenewx.org" to your search phrase. It works very well.
I have been using the search feature in this forumand it doesn't always go like I want it to. Always tends to bring up a bunch of threads that do not seem to be related and it helps when I can get an answer direct and to the point without having to read countless threads. I will try the google tip you mentioned. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, you are running 285/75R16 tires correct? (can't remember from the other thread) Either way, all the way up to a 33" (285/75R16) tire will fit in the stock spare tire location. It's a squeeze, but it fits fine.
I'm running the 265/75R16. I suppose that should work then. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
There is only one Xterra that I know of that has a spare mounted to the hatch itself:

This is not recommended! (Though for the record, this was made by a race mechanic, who had an idea of what he was doing)

You'd need to reinforce the hell out of the hatch and associated brackets (not to mention the gas pistons) since none of it is designed to carry the weight of a full wheel. You do not want the added stress cracking your hinges and dropping your entire hatch and wheel onto some poor schmuck on the highway.

As stated, you are probably looking at a bumper tire carrier. There are also generic tire carriers that can be mounted to a hitch, though they cost nearly as much as a full bumper and would kill your departure angle (and they'd vibrate like hell).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is only one Xterra that I know of that has a spare mounted to the hatch itself:

This is not recommended! (Though for the record, this was made by a race mechanic, who had an idea of what he was doing)

You'd need to reinforce the hell out of the hatch and associated brackets (not to mention the gas pistons) since none of it is designed to carry the weight of a full wheel. You do not want the added stress cracking your hinges and dropping your entire hatch and wheel onto some poor schmuck on the highway.

As stated, you are probably looking at a bumper tire carrier. There are also generic tire carriers that can be mounted to a hitch, though they cost nearly as much as a full bumper and would kill your departure angle (and they'd vibrate like hell).
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Didn't realize the possible effects and stress it would cause on the hatch let alone the amount of custom work involved. Looks like I will not be going that route :icon_smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts