Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remove their spare tire carrier on their rear bumpers for daily driving? I love the thought of offroading with it not mounted under the vehicle but the thought of daily driving with it mounted back there (especially in reverse) makes me hesitate. Does anyone remove the carrier? Do you just mount a rear view camera? What do you do?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Does anyone remove their spare tire carrier on their rear bumpers for daily driving? I love the thought of offroading with it not mounted under the vehicle but the thought of daily driving with it mounted back there (especially in reverse) makes me hesitate. Does anyone remove the carrier? Do you just mount a rear view camera? What do you do?
1. No. I don't remove my rear tire carrier to daily drive. I daily drive 95% of the time I'm in my Xterra. So what happens when I get a flat on the way to work without my spare?

2. I'm not that old (I'm 32), but I somehow learned to drive, back into parking spots, parallel park and everything else without the use of back up cameras, back up distance sensors, automatic parallel parking assistance and everything else. Amazing what we can accomplish if we put the work into it! ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the snarky and unhelpful comments. Just because someone asks something doesn't mean you have to come up with a unhelpful comment just to be an ass .

I DO know how to drive and have driven cross country several times without the aid of camera's or a rearview mirror (Box trucks suck... especially when towing another car). I would prefer to have full use of my rearview mirror and was just curious if anyone had removed the carrier and placed the spare elsewhere when daily driving to help with visibility.

Again, does anyone do this and do something like placing their spare in the rear cargo area?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
1. No. I don't remove my rear tire carrier to daily drive. I daily drive 95% of the time I'm in my Xterra. So what happens when I get a flat on the way to work without my spare?

2. I'm not that old (I'm 32), but I somehow learned to drive, back into parking spots, parallel park and everything else without the use of back up cameras, back up distance sensors, automatic parallel parking assistance and everything else. Amazing what we can accomplish if we put the work into it! ;)
Thanks for all of the snarky and unhelpful comments. Just because someone asks something doesn't mean you have to come up with a unhelpful comment just to be an ass .

I DO know how to drive and have driven cross country several times without the aid of camera's or a rearview mirror (Box trucks suck... especially when towing another car). I would prefer to have full use of my rearview mirror and was just curious if anyone had removed the carrier and placed the spare elsewhere when daily driving to help with visibility.

Again, does anyone do this and do something like placing their spare in the rear cargo area?
Not being an "ass", just being dead honest. If you can't handle blunt honesty, AND you are asking the questions you are asking, you are in for a long hard life.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Seems pretty simple here....

As you get in the truck you scan the area for obstacles or potential hazards(kids, animals, small elderly people) get in back up cautiously using mirrors, and even turning around to look.

If you still aren't comfortable then get a back up camera to help supplement. NOT TO REPLACE LOOKING IN THE MIRRORS AND TURNING AROUND!

·
Registered
5,084 Posts

+1.

My buddy keeps whining how his 4Runner Limited doesn't have backup sensors but it does have a backup camera. I want to slap him!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Then get a Hitch Tire Carrier or something similar. If you HAVE to have a rear view camera, parking sensors and other assistants... maybe you shouldn't be driving lol.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The act of removing, storing and dealing with the swing arm would be too cumbersome every time you want to go off roading. Think 'off road' tires vs DD tires. Some guys have both sets, but I know it's not worth it to me to do a NASCAR pitstop every weekend I want to go off-roading.

So aside from the mirror comments, convenience is where I'm at.

·
Registered
317 Posts
if i was going to take it off, it would be because of weight and wear on the rear suspension. it's not like you can see out the back of the X anyway.

how are you planning to avoid flats except when you're prepared for them? i wish i knew that trick. i got one last month from a highway on ramp.

-SM-

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anyone take a picture from inside the front looking back with the spare tire carrier?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have thought about since for my business I use the hatch frequently but my license plate is mounted to the arm so there is an extra layer of complexity that I am not willing to deal with. I imagine your visibility depends on a number of factors including vendor and your height. I have a Calmini (center mount) and I am 6' 4". It did change the amount I can see but not by much. I don't find backing up or parking any harder. Even when someone tries to tailgate as close as possible, I can still see them even in their little civic (and think about taping my brakes...).

·
on line
853 Posts
What about just moving the tire itself back to the stock (under the truck) location for in-town driving. Won't that solve the visibility issues out the rear window, even with the swing-arm still in place? I thought that, at least with the Shrock, unless you have huge tires, you could still use the stock location? I could be way off though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check these out... I've already emailed him to see if this would work for the Xterra and he said they can make it work for any sysem and the price is pretty sweet too.
Detours KnuckleBone Tire Carrier
I've talked to them in the past and they said they can make one for pretty much any vehicle. I've also looked in to these guys
http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/produc...products/fold-down-tire-carrier-premium-model

I like the pass through hitch so I can actually tow something or throw a rack on there to hold a deer

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I might look into a HD bumper that doesn't have the fold out but get a knucklebone or passthrough to use when going off road.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts