Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some ideas on what to put there since I'm getting a fullsize spare to put on top. I was thinking about mounting an air compressor there, but would probably need to get some sheet metal for protection. Any and all ideas welcome :clown:

***EDIT*** also don't want to get anything too heavy until I get the deaver mini, those leafs are getting MIGHTY flat :laughing6:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yeah, a compressor and bottle will fit well there. That is what im planning on doing... I think kokopop (or someone else) has a pancake tank mounted on a custom built skid. Looked really good.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anyone have a recommendation on one??? I'm not trying to break the bank or anything (I saw SeX was in this thread :laughing6:)

·
on line
3,262 Posts
LOL...

Well you could build your own set up if you know every litte and big piece you need to make it work. Buy a tank, buy a compressor, then buy all the fittings and wires and tubeing to go with it. It might come out a little cheaper. Im not going to reccomend something because I really dont know the difference in capacities and output of bottles and compressors. But Viair makes some pretty good stuff.

I just bought the whole shebang together at 4 wheel parts, because im sure i would have had to make several trips to the store to get something i forgot.

·
on line
197 Posts
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I went into eBay to do a quick search. I found this CO2 tank/regulator/hose assembly for about $192 shipped.
eBay Linky

For anyone with a CO2 system, where and how much to get the tank filled? I've looked at comparably priced motored compressors, but there's a big delta between a DC powered compressor for $100 that only has a 20% duty cycle vs the air tank systems with compressor (approx $500). Seems that even with the occasional CO2 recharges, that CO2 is the way to go....just my .02

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It's about $10-$15 to fill a 10lb tank at the local welding shop.

CO2 has it's advantages and disadvantages. I went the compressor route, which has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Here is my setup.

http://jbeamphotos.com/gallery/Xterra_Mods_OBA

I used a ViAir 480C compressor. I wish I would have gone larger. I think I am going to buy and mount up a 2nd compressor.

Custom Skid Plate by Ralph's Off-Road Creations

Compressor mounted on the skid.

Ran the compressor intake into the cargo area to keep it out of the weather.

Used a switch from 4x4mods.com (wish I would have got red)

What it looks like when mounted.

Can hardly see it from the back.

What I don't have a picture of is the air line. It comes out where the hold is to lower the spare (behind the tailgate).

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Creek said:
definitely not cheap at all, but it would be a nice thing to have on the rig.

Eddo, where'd you get that skid plate fabbed up and how much did it run ya?
Well the skid plate was the one that came with the calmini kit for the engine... but since i have the shrock front bumper I didnt need to use it. It is the perfect size for the tank and compressor. I am having one of the guys at Jims shop (shrockworks) fab me up some brackets to mount it in the spare tire area. So basically the skid was free... I dont know how much the guy is going to charge me for the brackets... probably a case of beer or something :blackeye:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That's my custom mud colored underside. :)

Thing is, I actually spray under there and clean out all the skids with a garden hose.

Mud is a nasty nasty thing, I wish I could avoid it, but here in PA, it's everywhere.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
contenderv07 said:
J was thinking about mounting an air compressor there, but would probably need to get some sheet metal for protection. Any and all ideas welcome
You should save your $ and all the hassle of installing OBA and get this --> http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-1050-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000L9AD2U

I can't say enough great things about this compressor. Fills my 33" BFG MTs in 2 minutes. Small, compact and portable. I can take it from my X to My LRS3. The inline pressure gauge is pretty accurate too. I even wired a 7-pin male trailer connector so I don't have to use the battery clamps. No need to even open the hood - I just plug it in to the rear trailer jack. I kept the clamps I snipped off and wired a female trailer connector if I ever need to air up someone else's rig.

BTW 50 BUCKS for this compressor at Pep Boys. It works as well as a $250 dollar Viair similar compressor. If fact I think the Viair one heats up quicker.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A lot of folks on here have the Tsunami and love it. I would have went that route if it was weather resistant. I wanted to run a tank for air tools and resetting a bead, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts