Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just recently got a brand new 2013 Pro-4X and am going through the basics of what I'd like to keep in the truck when on the trail for a few days.

Aside from the obvious things like fuses and lugs, what are some other things I should keep with the truck in case of issues when away from civilization? What tends to break or give issues that is field replaceable? Spare bolts for different suspension parts? Driveshaft Parts?

Also, if you have them, part numbers would be awesome. :)

Any specific tools, or xterra specific tool lists would be great to see as well.

Would be cool if one of the vendors would package up a 'spare parts kit' that has all of this stuff pre-assembled.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Spare bolts for everything is a good start. Last time I was involved in a field repair, we had to replace some hardware.

CV shafts would be good to have for longer trips/heavier wheeling and they're not expensive at all.

Alternator is always a good thing to have as well - ours hang pretty low.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
center pin bolts for the leaf packs, a couple u-bolts, tie rod ends (and a ball joint press to get them out), front and rear u-joints, x2 on CVs and spare bolts i have so many random bolts laying around and they have come in handy from time to time.

·
on line
951 Posts
Serpentine belt, although a few pairs of nylons will get you out without power steering or ac, just loop them through the pulleys.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would say it depends on the trails you are wheeling and who you are wheeling with. The CVs are pretty stout unless you are locked up front. It seems that the front diff pops before the CVs do with the stock setup. The center pins and ubolts is a good idea. I have been on two trips where those were trail repairs (they were older Xs though).

This is a great list of gear even if it is a little overkill:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31

I have most of my tools and recovery gear all the time.

·
on line
845 Posts
What degree of difficulty of trails are you talking about?

I carry various bolts and nuts, some fuses, replacement headlight, 175 lb ty-raps, windshield wiper blade, tire plugs and a few other small items. I carry no fluids (other that some spare gas if I am going to be in a really remote area).

It would have to be pretty hard core 4x4'ing before I would carry anything else.

The X is a very reliable vehicle.

Toy Man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the good suggestions guys. I'm not looking to carry a full parts bin in my truck, but it would be good to at least have a few basics with my tool roll in case something shakes or breaks loose.

Yeah, nothing too difficult, at least for now. Truck is new and stock but I'll be adding sliders, skids, and a rear bumper (no carrier) at some point here. Not looking to lift, just want a nice solid overland exploration and photography rig. Here it is a few weeks ago, three days after I picked it up brand new.

·
on line
845 Posts
For what you want to do, I would not get skids.

Rear bumper? Why not a trailer hitch? Less weight.

I would add a 2" lift and call if good.

Toy Man

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Thanks for the good suggestions guys. I'm not looking to carry a full parts bin in my truck, but it would be good to at least have a few basics with my tool roll in case something shakes or breaks loose.

Yeah, nothing too difficult, at least for now. Truck is new and stock but I'll be adding sliders, skids, and a rear bumper (no carrier) at some point here. Not looking to lift, just want a nice solid overland exploration and photography rig. Here it is a few weeks ago, three days after I picked it up brand new.

Sweet ride!! Looks like mine before she got big

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
love the colour.

and post in the overlanding thread. a few of us are into overlanding, me included.

and like toy man said a 2" lift is very nice and cheap/easy to do.

and if you are into overlanding then you will be carrying gear which will add weight and lower you down so upgrading the suspension to allow the extra weight of items will help down the road

oh forgot to say bring spare parts for fords, chevys, dodges, and jeeps....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if we are going to tangent the thread... :) Looking to get a rear bumper to have the solid recovery points and an elevated tow hitch that doesn't effect departure angle. I'm definitely mostly into overlanding, but I do want to be able to handle some stuff along the way. I'm thinking about skids to help keep me from needing to carry even more replacement parts. Also, I live in Los Angeles, so clearance is an issue at many parking garages including my home garage. Currently I fit in my garage with three inches clearance on top, and four inches in back to where the garage door comes down. I think for now I'm going to stick with the stock height and might only upgrade the rear leafs to handle more weight.

I'll start posting elsewhere on the forum about other stuff, but I want to stop by the dealership on Monday to pick up a few of the spare parts mentioned above to throw in my kit for a trip later this week.

·
Registered
79 Posts
xtra parts?

yours is a new X so you shouldn't need any spare parts unless you wheel it HARD.for the most part these are some durable vehicles unless you beat them to death.the point is the more you carry the lower you sag with a stock suspension thus the possibility of rear end problems (springs).allways carry a useable tool set and recovery straps with jack.heres a trick for when you get stuck without a winch.take your tow strap and put it through the spokes of your under power drive wheel then attach the other end to a stationary recovery point and use the power of the vehicle to pull you out slowly.when you start to move in whatever direction youre going the strap will wrap around the wheel if done right in the center of the tire causing a winching motion.of course if that's not enough just stop and redo the set up.much luck on the trails!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
if you think youll end up somewhere you can get yourself out on 2WD then dont worry about a spare CV...but if not, then it wouldnt hurt to carry one (they're not oriented so 1 will work for either side).
I do agree with random bolts/nuts/washers and tire plugs.
extra fluids wouldn't hurt (1 qrt of Oil/diff/tranny).
skids are always a good idea.
as long as youre not driving it like you stole it and or any hardcore rock crawling (which doesnt sound like you will be), you should be fine.

:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
I would say it depends on the trails you are wheeling and who you are wheeling with. The CVs are pretty stout unless you are locked up front. It seems that the front diff pops before the CVs do with the stock setup. The center pins and ubolts is a good idea.
U Joints are a good idea.

I will respectfully disagree with Lizardking on the CV thing. I would recommend having one based on my personal experience. Snapped 2 CV shafts before blowing the stock front diff. They both broke where they taper down to the splines inside the diff.

You can get one on Rockauto for cheap or there are a ton floating around on here from guys who have done Titan swaps. Im just sayin, I have two of em in my garage.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS POST: You will need a 32MM socket to get the nut off the end of the CV that goes through the spindle. Not having one when you need it is a hard lesson to learn on the trail. Luckily I had a friend there with a trailer when I broke my first one but not having spent the $7 to get that socket ahead of time could have cost me a few hundred in towing fees.

Also, if you do lift it, invest in a Hi Lift jack. You may never need it but again, a couple bucks invested ahead of time could save you a lot one day.

Just my .02. Good luck in whatever you do and welcome to the family.

·
on line
845 Posts
I agree on the duct tape (I carry Gorilla tape).

I also carry 3 lb hammer that is frequently used (by myself and others) for various jobs.

Disagree on the CV and U-joints for the type of driving you are planning on.

I go both ways on a Hi Lift. Fairly heavy and takes up quite bit of space. Works best with sliders. The scissors jack and HD wood pieces for putting underneath work ok but not
always convenient or easy.

I finally went with a Hydro Jack. Not as versatile as a Hi-Lift and a lot more expensive.

And yes - the rear springs are made out of recycled marshmallows. You will know when you need a solution.

Toy Man

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Disagree on the CV and U-joints for the type of driving you are planning on.

Toy Man
EGREGIOUS!!!! :violent1::iconbiggrin:

I'll start posting elsewhere on the forum about other stuff, but I want to stop by the dealership on Monday to pick up a few of the spare parts mentioned above to throw in my kit for a trip later this week.
I think one of the most important things you can learn on this forum is that you should RARELY, IF EVER go to the dealership for anything other than your warranty issues.

They will over charge you by an outrageous amount. For example a cv shaft costs around $60 bucks on Rockauto.com and they want over 800 at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
U Joints are a good idea.

I will respectfully disagree with Lizardking on the CV thing. I would recommend having one based on my personal experience. Snapped 2 CV shafts before blowing the stock front diff. They both broke where they taper down to the splines inside the diff.

Hmm.. well I stand corrected. That must have been fun. I still say they are pretty stout but they are cheap and don't take a too much space so it would not hurt have a spare.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts