Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me how I can get a spare key made for my Xterra,
I cant find the extra one that came with the truck, I only have the one. I asked the guy at Walmart, he said he couldnt do it. Thanks.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Any of the stores that "cut" keys can make you an extra key-FOR THE DOORS--

--Only the Nissan Dealer can Sell or program you a new key for the ignition--

--Good luck--JIMBO

·
on line
268 Posts
yep dealer. If I recall mine cost about $65 to buy, cut and program the key. When you go to the dealer they will need your X of course and all keys you have for it as they have to program the new one and reprogram your old one and the X to the new code. Took mine about 20-minutes of wandering around the lot while I waited.

There is also a master key and a valet key. The master key has the Nissan logo in silver, valet key is all black(sans the actual key part). Master key will control everything. Valet key will not lock/unlock the glovebox.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Okay.. how does this Key work?? Is it a contact signal in the Key... Or Key Head ( black part) have to be near the Ignition? IF???

If just near the Ignition, Can one take a good key, Crawl under the dashboard.. stuff a Key near the ignition. Make cheapo key's, for those Time when your at Hunting camp, need to move rigs. everyone has a key...

Instead of paying $65 bucks each.

HOW does dang thing work?... Thoughts?

·
on line
807 Posts
I don't know if Xterra's are the same as Frontiers, but everyone on clubfrontier was under the impression that we had chipped keys until some people actually started making copies and realizing they work. I'm not sure what the defining option is, but most frontiers do NOT have chipped keys, so a $2 copy at the hardware store will work.

It would be worth a try to see if the Xterra's are the same.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Chug said:
Okay.. how does this Key work?? Is it a contact signal in the Key... Or Key Head ( black part) have to be near the Ignition? IF???

If just near the Ignition, Can one take a good key, Crawl under the dashboard.. stuff a Key near the ignition. Make cheapo key's, for those Time when your at Hunting camp, need to move rigs. everyone has a key...

Instead of paying $65 bucks each.

HOW does dang thing work?... Thoughts?
There is a chip in the top part of the key that signals the security system that it is o.k. to start. I have done exactly what you suggested while camping. I keep a cheap Walmart key with me for the accidental dunk in the water that seems to usually happen, and kept the "chipped" key taped under the dash.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Cool, So that is the case.. The Chip key has to be with in the area of the ignition, for it to work. Will have to go make a Walley world Duplicate Key, and get this set up.

how close is your key? Or does it matter, since my spares are stuffed under the Rig with Zip ties. :)

Yea, too many times.. I either drop the key's, or have move my rig. Would like all my camp buddies to have a Cheap-o spare, as I have one of there rigs key's.

Thanks guys.. Learning new tricks.. again.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Thanks man... will be exploring this as a option.. will find a spot underside to hide a spare. This will be a good cheap fix.

no sense spending money on a new key.. just cheap-o key.. done..

hope this helps others. Will be making key soon.. To further test this before I am out in the woods stuck..

·
on line
962 Posts
The key's can get wet....there's no need to keep it dry. I never leave my keys anywhere on my truck when i go surfing or sailing. They are always in my wetsuit of boardshorts while im in the saltwater. I haven't had any problems yet!

·
on line
1,716 Posts
shutterman0991 said:
The key's can get wet....there's no need to keep it dry. I never leave my keys anywhere on my truck when i go surfing or sailing. They are always in my wetsuit of boardshorts while im in the saltwater. I haven't had any problems yet!
I've had to have one of mine replaced after taking a dive into the lake with it in my pocket. Maybe there was another problem with the key at that time. :director: :director:

·
on line
3,592 Posts
New Key Failed..

Just made new Key.. unlocks doors.. Turns engine.. but engine will NOT fire.

Placed Main key near ignition tried again.. Failed.

turned all system off.. waited 2 minutes. inserted Main key.. fired up.

So, the 2007 X the Key must be inserted into the ignition or will not work.

DAM!!!.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Yea.. That was really shocking... FIgured it would work.. They must have changed something in the coding or Chip.. to make a circuit.

Tried having the plastic part of the key touching the ignition, nadda

So. that idea, was shot down!!... dam... learned something new.. Least I have a $1.50 Spare Door key... :)

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Did try one more Theroy on the Cheap key for starting the X. With Main Key contacting the metal, Case it needs a contact signal.

NADDA.. failed also...

Shot that idea & Mod down the drain... Will keep Real key inside hidden.. Just in case... & give our spares while at camp... They can unlock doors, then grab REAL man's key.. To fire up rig.

Just posting this as follow up.. for others...

·
on line
76 Posts
You have to have the key right next to the ignition key hole when you turn the key. Behind the clear area that is illuminated is a black thingy that is the antenna for the security system. Also. Dont start your car too much withouth the main key next to it OR disconnect the antenna. THis will result in lock mode and only NISSAn can fix this with the consult II and an add on to Consult II. But keeping a key under the dash near the securitty box should work. How do all the people on the board start the car with wireless remotes during the winter.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
I I tred that... the glowing ring.. I had the Real Key, laying next to the Fake key.. THinking that same thought.

did not work.

After two tries.. figured ITs best I do not Attempt a 3rd time.. WHEW... Inserted Real main key, left it in...waited about 2 minutes.. fired it up.. Worked.

Unless there is a G-spot for it.. Did not work on my 07 SE X.. was really hoping too...

·
on line
616 Posts
What I did was get a cheap key cut that I hide on the outside of the X. I have the Valet key hidden inside the X. If I lock myself out, I use the cheap key to get in, then retrieve the valet key to start the X.

This keeps the immobilizer in tact, although an enterprising thief can get around the immobilizer if he is after a Nissan vehicle.

-Old Army

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Since, the X is Still New... & I have all 4 Key's. Plus the ID tag. Two of the Good key's & Remote. Went & stuffed inside a Tube, Plastic baggie around that. Vacum sealed that so its water tight safe.

Then Zipped Tied it, on the underside of the X, in hidden location ( NOTE TO SELF... RE-CHECK!!!! IF still there???)... Case I should lock self out, or lost key..

Good Thinking, I might add Murphy's law to the mix. Hide a Valet key inside the X. for back up... Just incase... Hate the Immobilizer Gadget... Theft in my area is real low. Heck, I leave the key's in the ignition all the time.

was fun trying to make it work... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts