Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up Colorado guys? My wife and I are spending next week in a cabin somewhere west of Alamosa, I don't know the area very well so I was wondering if any of you could point me to some must-see scenic drives. My X is pretty close to brand new, and completely stock outside of the cockpit, so I'm looking for some very light/easy off-roading trails/roads.

I think we've got most of our physical sight-seeing/attractions planned out, but I can't resist the opportunity to take this thing off pavement for the first time. Any help/tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
start on Traildamage.com for the area you'll be in and you can pick the difficulty you are comfortable with. Don't have any recomendations for that area but some others should chime in here soon that will.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If you plan on making it out to the Telluride area Alta Lakes is a pretty easy but beautiful little trip (and also a nice place to set up camp for the night).

·
TNX Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
389 Posts
If you drive to Silverton, you can take the road to Animas Forks, visit the ghost town, then take California Gulch to California Pass, then take Hurricane Pass, and then back to Silverton. Nice loop. Easy for a stock X.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you drive to Silverton, you can take the road to Animas Forks, visit the ghost town, then take California Gulch to California Pass, then take Hurricane Pass, and then back to Silverton. Nice loop. Easy for a stock X.
^^ Excellent recommendations. This is a terrific loop for AMAZING scenery. Be sure to take a camera (and a couple layers - this area will be seeing snowflakes any week now)!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
"Somewhere west of Alamosa" is a pretty big area. Getting to Silverton, Ouray, or even Durango is a several hour drive.

The best advice given is to check out traildamage.com once you know exactly where you will be. Even in the San Luis Valley is some decent 4 wheeling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Somewhere west of Alamosa" is a pretty big area. Getting to Silverton, Ouray, or even Durango is a several hour drive.

The best advice given is to check out traildamage.com once you know exactly where you will be. Even in the San Luis Valley is some decent 4 wheeling.
Yeah I realize that now, I meant more like 15 miles west of Alamosa! Traildamage.com was extremely useful, I already have several runs planned out, including one to the Summitville ghost town and one near the Sand Dunes (both of which I was planning on seeing at some point anyways).

We are contemplating spending a day near the Ouray/Durango area so I will have to check out some of those loops over there if we make it out that way.

And now for the important stuff: any local beers you guys recommend? :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Yeah I realize that now, I meant more like 15 miles west of Alamosa! Traildamage.com was extremely useful, I already have several runs planned out, including one to the Summitville ghost town and one near the Sand Dunes (both of which I was planning on seeing at some point anyways).

We are contemplating spending a day near the Ouray/Durango area so I will have to check out some of those loops over there if we make it out that way.
Which run byt the Sand Dunes are you thinking about? If it is Medano Pass, you best do it from east to west as you have to air down to make it through the sand. You can refill your tires in the park, they have an airing place just for that.

As for the Ouray area, stop in any of the "you rent-em army jeep car" places and ask for their advice. They would rather give you decent info and help than to have to come out to rescue you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which run byt the Sand Dunes are you thinking about? If it is Medano Pass, you best do it from east to west as you have to air down to make it through the sand. You can refill your tires in the park, they have an airing place just for that.

As for the Ouray area, stop in any of the "you rent-em army jeep car" places and ask for their advice. They would rather give you decent info and help than to have to come out to rescue you.
Yes, we were planning on doing Medano pass, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Over between Del Norte and South Fork you can find a lot of FS & BLM roads to the north and south of hwy 160. Some are ranches but you can drive up those roads and just explore. Not difficult wheeling but little traveled gems with great scenery and away from any crowds. That said, if you go up there go prepared just in case.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
^^ agreed. IMO, It really doesn't start getting too pretty until you turn on 149 at South Fork, very scenic all the way thru Lake City if you want to go that far. ALL KINDS of FS & BLM roads branching off the whole way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel like a serious noob here, what exactly is a BLM road? I'm guessing FS is Forest Service. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'm freakin' itching to get on the damn road here. One more day!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I feel like a serious noob here, what exactly is a BLM road? I'm guessing FS is Forest Service. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'm freakin' itching to get on the damn road here. One more day!
BLM = Bureau of Land Management. Enjoy the trip!

·
TNX Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
389 Posts

And now for the important stuff: any local beers you guys recommend? :iconbiggrin:
Well, Colorado is #2 to Oregon for its micro breweries, so finding a Colorado micro brew is very easy and there are just about all kinds of tastes for you to sample. I live in Northern Colorado, and we have the Left Hand Brewery here which makes numerous fine beers, and there is the Boulder Brewery too. So many choices in Colorado for a micro brewed beer. Drink up whatever you find in local micro brews and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Colorado is #2 to Oregon for its micro breweries, so finding a Colorado micro brew is very easy and there are just about all kinds of tastes for you to sample. I live in Northern Colorado, and we have the Left Hand Brewery here which makes numerous fine beers, and there is the Boulder Brewery too. So many choices in Colorado for a micro brewed beer. Drink up whatever you find in local micro brews and you will not be disappointed.
Left Hand is getting pretty big here in OK. I would kill to tour their brewery, their Milk Stout is one of my all-time favorite beers, the Sawtooth is awesome as well. I actually found yesterday a site called the "Beer Drinkers Guide to Colorado" with an interactive map that lists every brewery in the state. There's one in Alamosa and 2 in Pagosa Springs so I will definitely be sampling some tasty beverages next week.

http://www.beerdrinkersguidetocolorado.com/Beer_Map/BDG2C_Interactive_Beer_Map.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts