Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this so does anyone have any good trails around Ontario :geek: Looking to do a Saturday run

·
on line
853 Posts
Check out SCCX, the Southern California Club Xterra. We have monthly runs all over So Cal. You can also see if anyone can either recommend something in a particular area or may want to join you for a day.

www.sccxterra.com

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I'll second the SCCX tip.

There are hundreds and thousands of miles of trails out here. The history of the area means that there are trails cut out into the desert and mountains. There are a number of good books which detail trails but it's always better to go with a group - numbers make for fun and safety.

Hope to see you on the next SCCX run in January.

Paul

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will check it out anyone want to go this weekend for a quick trip?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I don't know if there's anything to add about the Backcountry Adventures book, but I'll try. In my crew, we just call it "Peter and Jeanne," for short. It is practically a member of the household. It has probably 40-50 fabulous trails within a day trip from Ontario, perhaps more. A handful of great trails are very close. You can get the book anytime at a 4 Wheel Parts store or order it. It's a bit expensive, but you won't regret it.

For starters, see if the Rincon Short-Cut in the San Gabriel Mountains is open now. You need a combination for the gates at either end (up-canyon from Azusa and Highway 2), which you get from the rangers. That's a beautiful trail--one of many. Start with a call to the Angeles National Forest.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/

·
on line
52 Posts
I'm also in Socal and other then the Trabuco Canyon trails I don't know of any local one where my 4x2 (2007 Xterra S) can go. Does this book list only 4x4 accessible trails?

Thanks.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I'm afraid my "Backcountry Adventures" book is for Northern California and the Southernmost trail, starts 11 miles south, of Big Pine off of US 395--

--It is #50 "Sierra View Trail" and is a #5 rate trail, it has fantastic views, but is a pretty, rugged ONE LANE (NARROW) trail--takes gonads to run--

-- :geek: :geek: ---JIMBO

·
on line
1,792 Posts
xfinite said:
I'm also in Socal and other then the Trabuco Canyon trails I don't know of any local one where my 4x2 (2007 Xterra S) can go. Does this book list only 4x4 accessible trails?
It's chock-full of easier 4x2 trails as well.

·
on line
853 Posts
xfinite said:

Thanks.
There are a lot of trails in Anza Borrego that are 2WD accessible, just don't wait too long unless you like hot weather.

Also, there are several in San Diego County that are very scenic and easily done in 2WD.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: There's more than North California--

--"Backcountry Adventures Southern California" lists for $34.95 (years ago)--

--Just call 1-800-660-5107 for all details--Good luck !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,792 Posts
There are a number of these books: Northern California; Southern California; Colorado; Arizona, as far as I know. All are by Peter Massey and I forget Jeanne's last name. Now the Southern California edition is divided into smaller regional editions, which end up being more expensive. You can still get the entire So. Cal edition, which is what I'd recommend. So in short, there are two big books for all of California, with the dividing line running from about San Luis Obispo at the coast through the southern Sierras and northern Death Valley. Here's a link:
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=HjMozd3dBjoC&dq=peter+massey+backcountry&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=1F66y4nLRz&sig=jNqfOFI3zBSn3607lYeVDad8Lt0

·
on line
18 Posts
hey im from the sanbernardino mtns!! pretty close to ontario! we should all have a lil meet up here in the mtns or down there somewhere but local for sure!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts