Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've taken a drastic turn from what was going to be a mild 3.69 rear and front diff swap, and now going the titan-swap route after finding some more financial freedom. Problem is, it seems to be a little difficult to source an 3.36 M205 for a reasonable price right now. Ebay only has diffs with the 3.36 gearing that are usually $800+ and terrible mileage, or part of the 2004-2006 series we want to try to avoid.

Where did everyone else source their m205s? Any other good sites besides Ebay? I understand junkyards aren't a bad option, but seems like a lot of work to pull a diff without all my tools and something I'd honestly do as a last resort.

And another question, are m205 diffs from Armadas and Pathfinders going to be the same? I see them come up in my search, but I'd hate for them to have different gearing or a particular reason they won't work.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If your actually looking for a 3:69 M205 I don't believe they actually exist OEM. Not sure anyone makes those gears aftermarket either that I have seen. Most go to 4:10 or 4:56 if there that serious.

Have you tried car-part.com or LKQonline.com ?

I believe you want the 3 rib version - which is newer and upgraded.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your actually looking for a 3:69 M205 I don't believe they actually exist OEM. Not sure anyone makes those gears aftermarket either that I have seen. Most go to 4:10 or 4:56 if there that serious.

Have you tried car-part.com or LKQonline.com ?

I believe you want the 3 rib version - which is newer and upgraded.
I may have worded that poorly. Yeah I'm aware of that, I am looking for 3.36. I'll give those websites a peek to see what I can find. Thanks man

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
car-parts.com

OR I find hollanderparts.com much easier to navigate though and a lot of stuff is referenced on both sites. but sometimes not.

no matter where you buy, unless they have a pic of the gear ratio stamp or provide the VIN to check it, it's a shot in the dark if it's the right ratio.
Hollanderparts was a good suggestion, I can't even figure out under what category the m205 is listed on with the site like car-parts.com. Thanks man

·
Registered
194 Posts
So I've taken a drastic turn from what was going to be a mild 3.69 rear and front diff swap, and now going the titan-swap route after finding some more financial freedom. Problem is, it seems to be a little difficult to source an 3.36 M205 for a reasonable price right now. Ebay only has diffs with the 3.36 gearing that are usually $800+ and terrible mileage, or part of the 2004-2006 series we want to try to avoid.

Where did everyone else source their m205s? Any other good sites besides Ebay? I understand junkyards aren't a bad option, but seems like a lot of work to pull a diff without all my tools and something I'd honestly do as a last resort.

And another question, are m205 diffs from Armadas and Pathfinders going to be the same? I see them come up in my search, but I'd hate for them to have different gearing or a particular reason they won't work.
Would you be willing to drive to southern California? I got my M205 less than a year ago for $800 out the door from a local junk yard here in Riverside. They had access to multiple units at the time. The one I got was out of a 2016 Armada with only 30k miles on the vehicle. Let me know if you would like me to call around here.

·
TNX Veteran
4,573 Posts
I'm in WA, I got mine from LKQ which pulls the part for you. I think it was around $880 total 3.5 years ago and I picked it up locally (about 30 min away from me) to save on shipping. Also, they it's not just eBay that pulls the wrong part. They gave me a 2.97 geared one and I only found out after I installed it :cautious: so I had to go back & swap it out.

If you can view it in person definitely check the ratio before you take it home! There is a trick you can do where you spin the driveshaft flange and count rotations of the wheel flanges. E.g. 3.36, for 1 rotation of driveshaft you should have 3.36 rotations at wheels. Easier than opening it up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in WA, I got mine from LKQ which pulls the part for you. I think it was around $880 total 3.5 years ago and I picked it up locally (about 30 min away from me) to save on shipping. Also, they it's not just eBay that pulls the wrong part. They gave me a 2.97 geared one and I only found out after I installed it :cautious: so I had to go back & swap it out.

If you can view it in person definitely check the ratio before you take it home! There is a trick you can do where you spin the driveshaft flange and count rotations of the wheel flanges. E.g. 3.36, for 1 rotation of driveshaft you should have 3.36 rotations at wheels. Easier than opening it up.
Interesting. Most m205s are going for around $800+ and that still with mileage higher than 100k. Also, it seems Titanswapping is catching on, because I can barely find M205s that are 08+, but pleeeenty of 07 or older m205s.

Also, I would figure running the VIN would be enough verification as to whether its the right ratio or not, but could I be wrong? I'm becoming more hesitant of Ebay now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you be willing to drive to southern California? I got my M205 less than a year ago for $800 out the door from a local junk yard here in Riverside. They had access to multiple units at the time. The one I got was out of a 2016 Armada with only 30k miles on the vehicle. Let me know if you would like me to call around here.
That's nice but I'm in CO, that's a bit of a drive for me to source an M205. Gotta work to afford all the parts im buying now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts