Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maxterra bumper should be arriving this week (thanks dave). i'm planning to go w/ generic rattle can paint rather than bedliner or plasti-dip, and figure i'll spend a couple extra $$ to get a matching color. looks like the plastic trim is color code AG64. i've seen a couple places online that sell this, but they want more for shipping than the paint itself. anyone found a good cheap source to buy a couple rattle cans of dealer color? thanks,

-SM-

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i mean the plastic grey. matte dark grey. not sure how close it matches, and since plastic fades it's probably impossible to get it perfect, but such is life.

i'm located in SF bay area.

-SM-

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i grabbed a cheap can of rustoleum charcoal grey from home depot. it's actually not too far off. if it were flat instead of gloss it would probably be hard to tell the difference from the plastic trim.

-SM-

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
i mean the plastic grey. matte dark grey. not sure how close it matches, and since plastic fades it's probably impossible to get it perfect, but such is life.

i'm located in SF bay area.

-SM-
The last time I needed body work, it was for a classic car. The shop spent considerable time adjusting the paint color to match perfectly, then mixed extra so that we would have it in the future. I took a pint back to the local auto paint supply and they put it in rattle cans for me.

That was only two years ago, so unless the environmental regulations in California have changed you should be able to find a place in the Bay Area that can do it, whether by paint formula or a custom mix.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Google auto body supply shops around you, call and ask if they can mix a spray bomb for you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Google auto body supply shops around you, call and ask if they can mix a spray bomb for you.
thanks, yeah, i can get a color match made. i was hoping the simple rusto can would be a closer match. i plan to do sliders, etc. for $3 it makes a nice base coat;)

-SM-

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
talked to a couple body shops, and w/ a minimum 1 hour labor it would be cheaper to buy online. if you know someone obviously you could do better.

the good news is that rustoleum dark grey auto primer is a pretty close match, and it's already flat. it's horrible to spray - comes out very wet and flashes quickly - but for $4/can it looks like a pretty good solution for armor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11917170545/

-SM-

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
They quoted you a labour price to mix a spray bomb? That is messed up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$20 for a mixed can to your colour code here.
i suspect there may be a slight difference in rent and labor rates between edmonton and the bay area. regardless, i'm happy w/ the simple dark grey primer + matte coat. it matches the trim as well as i need and it's cheap and readily available for touch-ups. i left a bunch of stuff off so you could see the color better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12040189706/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12039633573/in/photostream/

-SM-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts