Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
there’s a rotating, grating, grinding sound from under this 2007 s xterra 4wd, toward the rear. It matches With the vehicle speed. I haven’t jacked up the vehicle yet to inspect it more but I wonder if it’s something to do with the universal joints or the cv joint. The driveshaft and joints are all tight when I pull on them but I feel like I’m missing something. There’s no noticeable vibration. Any thoughts? The sound is covered up with the engine sound when accelerating but is loud enough to be annoying/concerning at all other times... Do you have any advice for further diagnoses? I changed the diff oils a few weeks ago with no change in the sound

Description of the vehicle can be found here:

Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
heat shields on your cats? I had mine start rattling at 1750-2000 rpm, in ever gear. Drove me nuts. Bought a few metal clamps and squeezed the living heck out of them. Problem solved.

Id check your heat shields, not a tough places to start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you I’ll investigate the bearing and ebrake drum and dust shield. Are there safety issues from those that I should stop driving the vehicle for until I fix it?

·
Premium Member
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 6MT Metallic Blue
21 Posts
Good morning, one other thing to consider is the rear differential as it may mimic rear noise usually attributed to a wheel bearing. I actually had my entire rear differential replaced as a Good Will by my local Nissan dealer for failing rear diff which was beginning to grind at speed. Hope this is not the case with you, best wishes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts