Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am noticing my truck is sometimes not starting on the first attempt..... also when my key is in the ignition the battery gage seems low, but after 3 attempts it starts and the battery guage reads right in the middle....any idea what might cause this...?
I have a 1.5 year old optima yellow top battery...could it be a faulty battery or am I looking at a bigger issue?
thanks

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...I am sure the corrsion is fine I just had my terminals sprayed with rustproofing...to keep them from corroding...that was a month ago, but I will double check that just to be sure...anyone elese can make a suggestion?

·
on line
1,716 Posts
miles said:
Lonesome Crow said:
Check your ground cables, it may be an intermittent bad connection causing a false reading to your gauge and starter.
how do I check that?
Trace the ground wire coming off of the battery to a small distribution block just behind the battery, follow each one of those wires and make sure that the connections are clean, tight and are not corroded. I found the one that was connected to the engine was loose on mine when I replaced the battery.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this happened this morning...,my x was out all last night and it started no problem this morning after driving for 30 minutes dropped my kids off at daycare, came back to the vehicle and after 3 attempts of key turning it did start. I have yet to be stranded by my x and it starts in the coldest conditions in the morning on the first attempt but its after I have driven it for a while and return does it give me a problem....? could this still be a bad ground? or coroded terminals?

·
on line
1,716 Posts
miles said:
So this happened this morning...,my x was out all last night and it started no problem this morning after driving for 30 minutes dropped my kids off at daycare, came back to the vehicle and after 3 attempts of key turning it did start. I have yet to be stranded by my x and it starts in the coldest conditions in the morning on the first attempt but its after I have driven it for a while and return does it give me a problem....? could this still be a bad ground? or coroded terminals?
That sounds like more of an ignition or starter related problem. Is the truck turning over and not firing or are you just getting the click and nothing?

·
on line
1,716 Posts
miles said:
the truck is turning but not fireing...maybe my auto start, not engaging?
Maybe...if you have another set of keys for your truck try using them. Maybe you are having a problem with the chip in the set of keys that you regularly use.

·
on line
19 Posts
Starting Problems

I am having similar problems. The next time this happens, take the key out and then retry but let the key sit in the position right before start for 5 seconds or so and then turn to the crank position and it should fire right up. I am taking mine to the dealer next week to see why this is.

·
on line
19 Posts
I took mine in and they also said its a key chip problem and they would reprogram them all. I will report back on how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts