Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my oil changed by the dealer a few days ago, as always when a vehicle is under warranty. This morning though when I started it up, it idled rough. I thought it may have been because it's been cold outside (in the teens) and I haven't driven my X since the oil change.

On the way to work, however, the idle never improved. At a stop sign or light I could hear the engine soud like it is bogging down, and there is a tapping noise I think on the top end. When I got to work I left it running, and went around to the rear to check for any smoke.

No smoke, but the exhaust coming out feels rough (as in a fast puff puff puff, rather than smooth). I haven't checked the oil yet, but I'll do that when it warms up a bit around lunch. I'm hoping that it is just severely overfilled.

Any other ideas?

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will be my ultimate plan of action...but if it is as simple as an oil change, it will probably be easier to take care of it myself...my dealer is rediculously slow.

·
TNX Administrator
20,374 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Maybe they didn't fill up w/ enough oil after the change? Def check into the dealer since you have the warranty still.
Although I have not had it happen with this vehicle, I have had it happen at a oil change before, where they forgot to replace the oil all together and I departed the shop with no oil in the engine.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I would check the simple things BEFORE taking it into the dealer. See if there is no oil, or overfilled oil. Or see if when checking/changing your air filter they didn't leave a rag in the air box or something. That way you know what to point them at. I have come to the conclusion that most dealers are no good at troubleshooting. Also, I would want to know this stuff for my own knowledge. If it's something simple and it was their fault, I can see them not telling you the truth.

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked it during lunch...it's overfilled by my guesstimate by 1 to 1.5 quarts. I could drain the oil and change it again myself, but it's their mistake and I'd expect them to take care of it...the service department at my dealer is slow, but so far have never given me any trouble (until this mistake).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts