Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I know some people who have put a CB Radio in their trucks. I've got some questions about them, if anyone can help me answer some I would really appreciate it!

1. What is the point? I mean what all does it do, I think it would be cool and handy to be able to listen to weather and traffic updates and well as the occasional entertaining trucker conversation lol. Can it do these things? Can you listen in on police and firefighters as well? Is that even legal? haha

2. How hard is the install? I wanna know how long it took you to install a CB in your truck and if you ran into any problems I should be aware of.

3. I know the antenna is the most important part, but unfortunately I don't really like the look of a big long antenna on my rig. lol Any way to get a fairly small or concealed antenna that will still work.

And lastly...

4. How much? About how much should I expect to pay for the entire project? And what brand/model do you guys recommend?

If you can answer any of these questions for me it would really really help me out. By the way I know NOTHING about CB or HAM radios so really any info will be helpful! Thanks

Mod bug is hitting me hard... again -_- lol

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey maybe this will help.

1.I use a CB in my truck primarily for talking to other drivers on the trail. It allows trail leaders to communicate back to the team to warn of obstacles or other hazards on the trail. It also allows to stay in communication with your tail gunner to verify no one is being left behind. I occasionally listen to truck chatter and find it extremely my useful when getting updates on traffic, accidents, ect.

2. The easy answer is 1-2 hrs. Tap a wire off a power lead, ground it mount it run an antenna and your done.

I personally have a thing with electrical work and electronics. (I can't half ass it)
It took me most of the day if not two to correctly wire mine up, and I'm still not done. I chose to go with a RadioShack magmount to get me by until I find a suitable replacement. Check out my build for the wiring job

3. Yes, your antenna is a major part of your setup... If you want to hear people from long ranges. Personally I don't use it for that (that's what a HAM is for <another thread>) for the usual trail stuff a 2ft mounted to the roof will be sufficient. The goal is to have 60% or more of the antenna over your roof line, thus the longer antennas you see on the side/rear of trucks.

And lastly...

4. You can get by for around $50 out the door if you wanted, or shoot for something in the 100-200 range. All depends upon what your looking for.

My personal setup is the Cobra 75wx compact CB with 18' firering coax cable and 2' firestik tunable tip antenna mounted to the roof. (Currently have the RadioShack magmount as a stand in)

All depends on what you need it for. Take your time, do it right and you will be very happy with the outcome in the log run.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
478 Posts
1: Give/get help or communicate with others on the trail.
2: Not hard. Install time will be dependent on how clean and where you want it. A little under an hour to install mine which was really just running the coax cable.
3: You don't need to keep the antenna up all the time. Make sure you tune your antenna to your CB.
4: My Midland 75-822 and Little Wil antenna setup ran about $120. Also had to buy a SWR meter for tuning.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
4: My Midland 75-822 and Little Wil antenna setup ran about $120. Also had to buy a SWR meter for tuning.
Also, the Midland 75-822 can be configured as a handheld battery-powered radio, so there's no need to hardwire it to an antenna. If it's just going to be used on a trail, it's probably the radio for you. I know a few guys with those radios who only have it configured as a handheld. It's better than a regular two-way radio because it can access the regular CB bands, whereas not every two-way can do that.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Also, the Midland 75-822 can be configured as a handheld battery-powered radio, so there's no need to hardwire it to an antenna. If it's just going to be used on a trail, it's probably the radio for you. I know a few guys with those radios who only have it configured as a handheld. It's better than a regular two-way radio because it can access the regular CB bands, whereas not every two-way can do that.
And it has weather channels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, all answers were very helpful. I think I may be getting a Cobra 19 Ultra III with a 4' Firestik mounted above my tail light. Ill let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
1. You can listen to weather (most car stereos dont have this ), you can listen and talk about traffic tie ups/road conditionsns on highway and you can talk on the trail.

2.Install can be as easy as plugging in a midland 75-822 with a magnet antenna (10 mins tops) to cutting out the dash to fit a full size cb. I currently have a Cobra 75wxst powered off the console outlet and an antenna mounted on the roof rack. Grounding the antenna to lower SWR was the hardest.

3. Get a magnet mount and use when needed or a quick release and it takes a sec to detach antenna

4. I paid $80 0r so for radio, $20 for mount and $25 or so for antenna cable and stud and $14 or so for antenna.

Ham is another subject and is usually much costlier . You need a license . CB is out there for all to use freely and under good conditions you can get 5-10 miles

Alright so I know some people who have put a CB Radio in their trucks. I've got some questions about them, if anyone can help me answer some I would really appreciate it!

1. What is the point? I mean what all does it do, I think it would be cool and handy to be able to listen to weather and traffic updates and well as the occasional entertaining trucker conversation lol. Can it do these things? Can you listen in on police and firefighters as well? Is that even legal? haha

2. How hard is the install? I wanna know how long it took you to install a CB in your truck and if you ran into any problems I should be aware of.

3. I know the antenna is the most important part, but unfortunately I don't really like the look of a big long antenna on my rig. lol Any way to get a fairly small or concealed antenna that will still work.

And lastly...

4. How much? About how much should I expect to pay for the entire project? And what brand/model do you guys recommend?

If you can answer any of these questions for me it would really really help me out. By the way I know NOTHING about CB or HAM radios so really any info will be helpful! Thanks

Mod bug is hitting me hard... again -_- lol

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I mostly use mine on the trails but it is also handy to listen to trucker chatter. Sometimes they could make a sailor blush but usually they warn each other of cops and give a heads up on traffic and/or construction...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Get one for all of the above reasons .^
I remeber the day i installed mine i went out and drove around i found some realy weird people on the CBs ... One guy talking about his wifes farts in her sleep. :tard:

But i love my uniden pro 520xl . $48 shipped of amazon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts