Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
on line
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to NOLA for finding the solution.

My 2005 X is right at 70K miles. At around 45K (about two years ago), I started getting a resonant rattle in the engine compartment right at 2200 RPM. It would happen when I was accelerating or pulling a grade, I could not make it happen by by just reving the engine in neutral.

I checked every heat-shield, hose, bracket and everything else I could think of that could possible rattle and nothing would change the situation. The dealer first claimed he "could not replicate" the noise even when he was sitting beside me on a test drive. They then acknowledged a noise but could not find the source. The one thing they said that made sense was that it was not a timing chain issue as that would be heard under no load and it would occur across a wider RPM range. Regardless, this has been an incredible aggravation for the last couple of years.

Anyway, I made a comment in another post about a year ago and last week, I got a PM from NOLA suggesting I check out TSB NTB05-015B, "Rattle noise from VIAS power valve actuator / intake manifold collector". It can be found in the 2005 Pathfinder section of Nissanhelp.com.

The repair entails pulling out the Variable Air Intake System (VIAS) butterfly valve assembly, cleaning it up real well, and gluing it in place with epoxy. The whole procedure take about 30 minutes and is well documented in the TSB with lots of photos. The hardest part was waiting several hours for the epoxy to cure so I could go out on a test drive.

I have driven around for two days now and I am certain this was the issue and it is now FIXED. No more rattle! It is interesting that the TSB lists the applied vehicles as 2005 Pathfinder and 2005 Frontier with VQ40 motors but not the 2005 Xterra. Apparently this is an issue with early 2005 VQ40 motors and a production change was implemented around May '05. My born-on date was April 2005.

Thanks again NOLA...this is a great place to share information.

regards,
Willyswan

·
on line
552 Posts
aha!!! I believe i also have this problem. Mine resonates at about 900 and 1900 rpms. I'm glad you found this info. I will try to take a video of what it sounds like for future reference for other members.

Edit - I just read over your post again saw that it was on early 05's. Regardless, I will still try this next time I can work on the X and hopefully that fixes it.

·
on line
262 Posts
Interesting, I always thought it was a loose heat shield or something like that. Been making noise since the first month I bought it. Guess ill give this a shot.

·
on line
2,883 Posts
Again, great and invaluable information that you almost cannot get anywhere else.
Kudos again to the NewX and it's members!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
552 Posts
Again, great and invaluable information that you almost cannot get anywhere else.
Kudos again to the NewX and it's members!
X2 :eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
443 Posts
Someone take pictures...That is how I work/think...yea I am retarded.

Greg

·
on line
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to nissanhelp.com and download the TSB. There are lots of pictures that will help explain it.

Basically, the VAIS power valve sits inside the intake manifold and is held in place with a couple of bolts. It has a grooved frame that slides onto a slot inside the manifold. On early VQ40 motors, the tolerances are apparently a little loose. This causes the valve to resonate and rattle LOUDLY at 2200 RPM. To fix it, you remove the valve assembly, clean the slot and groove, apply epoxy in the groove and (quickly) slide it back in place. I guess since it's now glued in place, if I ever have to replace the valve, I will end up buying a new intake manifold as well.

It is day 4 of the repair and everything is still all good. It may sound extreme, but I was getting ready to dump my Xterra. It was bothering me that much. Everytime I heard the noise, I was envisioning something sinister and destructive going on under the hood. Cruising at highway speeds, you spend a lot of time passing up and down through 2200 rpm. I've been on a lot of long road trips with my X. We have gone across Mexico twice and up through the Pacific Northwest once. I'm now looking forward to my next road trip.

regards,

·
on line
1,416 Posts
Thanks to both NOLA nad willyswan. Good information to keep tucked away just in case the problem shows up in later years.

Jeff

·
on line
638 Posts
I have had this problem for a while now. I even took it to the dealership and they said they could not find it. I hear it the most when its cold. If I rev the engine 3 or 4 times it goes away. I will have to try this fix out.

Thanks

·
on line
1,368 Posts
Well .... what about having the same problem with an 08 X ?.... Or at least hope to have the same - since the dealer is usless

·
on line
552 Posts
i have this problem, alteast im pretty sure i do. I have a good bit of time this week so i will go ahead and try this. I don't have my camera though so i will only have crappy cell phone pics.

·
on line
552 Posts
willy, i also see that you livein austin tx. What color is your X. I spotted one on friday as i was coming home.

·
on line
1,368 Posts
Hey Nirvana ... can you please post here or send me a PM with the results? I was ready to go to the dealer "again" .... I would like to pass this opportunity :)
I cannot touch mine till Sunday.

BTW: Did I mention how nice of a rig Creek has :)

·
on line
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
willy, i also see that you livein austin tx. What color is your X. I spotted one on friday as i was coming home.
Red Brawn (or whatever it's called) 4x4, Shrock bumpers front & rear, 235-85x16 10-ply BFG-AT pizza cutters.

I spend a lot of time cruising up and down Loop-360

regards,

1 - 20 of 215 Posts