Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 4 years have been a great experience with my Xterra..

the X turned 70k the other day and I traded it for a new 2014 Corolla S!

Toyota gave me $9,500 trade in (its been paid off for 2 years.) I am happy with the offer because it had 2 claims on it.. and needed new brakes soon.

I am enjoying the gas mileage on the corolla I drove 220 miles on a half tank.. so far I have been getting 33-39 MPG oh better yet my payment is $195 per month that is about the same amount i spend on gas for the X

here are some pics of the X and the Corolla

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Wow. Thats quite the change. I do like the corolla's new look. BH had a 09. No problems at all with it. I can relate on the gas mileage. $3.79/gal now in PA. I do about 250+ miles a week. I am putting in about $53/week. And thats just for going to work. But i do love the X. Funny, i see the new full size rams get better mileage! Thats my only complaint. Right now i am about 16.8 mpg. But that should go up after they switch off the winter blend crap gas.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yea, Swear you are driving a eight!! The corolla should serve you very well. And i almost got a titan. That would have been laughable! The gas pump would have been strapped to my back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That car doesn't look half bad. As much as I enjoy the Xterra "community", anytime i get off this site I want to immediately sell this thing. Its a love/hate relationship for sure. I will probably downgrade soon too, the gas mileage is terrible especially here in northern Virginia!

·
Registered
378 Posts
We have a TITAN, Xterra and corolla...each of them has it's own purpose and I wouldn't wanna lose any of them :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to see you had to let the X go, but I can understand. If I didn't have a company truck with the gas paid for and had to rely on my X as a daily I wouldn't be able to keep it, or it would be my wife's who stays at home with the kiddows and I'd be driving her Mazda all over.

The new corollas are at least interesting now, and you don't have to try to get good mileage. Did you get the CVT? if so how you liking that?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like Corollas. I've never owned one but have had them as rentals several times. Very nice driving, economical cars.

Kind of apples to oranges though.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm a little more interested in the other cars sitting in the garage. Some sort of Subby and something else? I take it you like white cars.

I get the long commute thing and congrats on the new car as long as it makes you happy then that’s what matters the most.

But honestly I don't think you're saving enough in gas to justify it from a financial stand point. $200 a month for a car payment, which is what you were paying for just gas in the X.

But your X was paid off man and you still gotta put gas in that corolla. Even if it gets double the mileage, using half the gas as the X, its $100 a month to fill + your $200 a month car payment. It’s costing you $300 a month (total) on the Corolla vs. $200 for the X. But that seems to be easier for people to take (feel the pain once a month, rather than visit the gas station 4+ times a month).

Yes, in the very very long run the Corolla will come out ahead, but we're talking 8+ years.

Geez, I really sound like a black cloud over here. Party cause I'm in a similar situation and jealous. Sold my commuter vehicle (a motorcycle) – and would like to get something new for commuting to work. 90% of my Xterra usage is commuting a fair distance in traffic. Not exactly the Xterra’s element. And as much as I want that new car I can’t justify letting go a paid off truck, that when it does get used for what it’s meant for (towing, hauling, bad winter driving, off road) it’s an absolute gem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to see you had to let the X go, but I can understand. If I didn't have a company truck with the gas paid for and had to rely on my X as a daily I wouldn't be able to keep it, or it would be my wife's who stays at home with the kiddows and I'd be driving her Mazda all over.

The new corollas are at least interesting now, and you don't have to try to get good mileage. Did you get the CVT? if so how you liking that?
Yes tahorRunner it has the CVT is is pretty nice has a 7-speed and paddle shifter compared to the old gen which had the 4-speed.

The car also has a sport mode basically the steering tightens up and throttle response is quicker.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm a little more interested in the other cars sitting in the garage. Some sort of Subby and something else? I take it you like white cars.

I get the long commute thing and congrats on the new car as long as it makes you happy then that’s what matters the most.

But honestly I don't think you're saving enough in gas to justify it from a financial stand point. $200 a month for a car payment, which is what you were paying for just gas in the X.

But your X was paid off man and you still gotta put gas in that corolla. Even if it gets double the mileage, using half the gas as the X, its $100 a month to fill + your $200 a month car payment. It’s costing you $300 a month (total) on the Corolla vs. $200 for the X. But that seems to be easier for people to take (feel the pain once a month, rather than visit the gas station 4+ times a month).

Yes, in the very very long run the Corolla will come out ahead, but we're talking 8+ years.

Geez, I really sound like a black cloud over here. Party cause I'm in a similar situation and jealous. Sold my commuter vehicle (a motorcycle) – and would like to get something new for commuting to work. 90% of my Xterra usage is commuting a fair distance in traffic. Not exactly the Xterra’s element. And as much as I want that new car I can’t justify letting go a paid off truck, that when it does get used for what it’s meant for (towing, hauling, bad winter driving, off road) it’s an absolute gem.

The Subie is a 2012 WRX STI it is modded but not mine its my older brothers car.

I am more into Mitsu's...I had a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution before the Xterra for a few years

1 - 15 of 15 Posts