Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you are in SoCal or the SW general area? Would be cool to meet up with some fellow X owners and maybe put together a run that I could also feature in the magazine. Who would be down? Trying to see if there is enough interest. I was thinking something like going through Anza Borrego area, Fish Creek, TDS area, something like that.

Thanks!

Jordan May
4WD & SU Mag

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Althought, something hardcore would be fun I think if we keep the level of offroading mellow we can get more people out to meet each other. I am pretty sure you can camp in Fish Creek if we go through there if not Ocotillo Wells has full campsites and everything.

·
on line
589 Posts
I am in San Diego, and I would definitely be interested and able to meet up for a day or a weekend if camping were included; sounds like a blast actually. Just let me know a date, and I will keep the schedule free...

·
on line
853 Posts
SCCX has its monthly run coming up on Sunday 1/21. This one will be to the Santiago Peak / Indian Truck Trail / Wildomar OHV area. Meet spot is in Lake Elsinore, see the thread on XOC in the SCCX section of the Regional Club Discussions. This is supposed to be a "stock friendly" run, but I have never been there myself.

Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon would make for some great photos for the magazine. I just spoke to someone at the visitor's center about the recent rock slide blocking Fish Creek a couple of miles before the entrance to Sandstone Canyon. They said that Jeeps have been getting through there with little problem, (and I think I know of an Xterra that has as well - Jake are you reading this?). He also mentioned that as time goes by a new trail is being worn in. I only mention this because it may be an issue for someone in a stock vehicle who may either be not experienced or does not want to risk nicks and bumps.

A weekend would probably be best to get the biggest group, but I am thinking that I might be available for an exploratory run out to Sandstone on Monday 1/15 if anyone wants to go. We can see for ourselves if it is passable with a stock truck.

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frank,

I dont think I will be back from Texas to make it out there Monday but if you go and find out the status of the area please let us know. Also, take a digital camera with you if you could so we can get a better understanding of the terrain. What I am thinking would be setup something fri-sun and run something each day so if someone wants to just come for a day they dont miss out. We could all camp in Ocotillo Wells just down Split Mtn Road near the campsites so people have hookups, bathrooms, and ever showers if they need it. There is also a good local store for food, water, air, and a gas station up the road. Very convenient location.

Let us know!

Jordan

·
on line
2,938 Posts
You folks out west have fun.

Jordan, the mag had a nice piece on Rausch Creek here in the Northeast. Big props for give a great little park some much needed attention. It is often over shadowed by Paragon.

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey,, Hey !
Don't forget the guy in Huntington Beach ??

Lemme know when, I've been spending lots of money for this !

Jim B

·
on line
2,540 Posts
MagEditor said:
Frank,

I dont think I will be back from Texas to make it out there Monday but if you go and find out the status of the area please let us know. Also, take a digital camera with you if you could so we can get a better understanding of the terrain. What I am thinking would be setup something fri-sun and run something each day so if someone wants to just come for a day they dont miss out. We could all camp in Ocotillo Wells just down Split Mtn Road near the campsites so people have hookups, bathrooms, and ever showers if they need it. There is also a good local store for food, water, air, and a gas station up the road. Very convenient location.

Let us know!

Jordan
Where in TX are you gonna be?

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heading out in the morning to attend the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree put on my Toyota Trail Riders at Barnwell Mtns.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Id be down to do a meet and 4wheel at the same time.

·
on line
68 Posts
Jordan,
SCCX has monthly runs throughout So Cal and we are putting together our ideas for runs in 07. We'd welcome you to join us.
I didn't realize their were so many "free agent" X enthusuasts in So Cal.
You're missing out on a fun group. Join up!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
The Santiago Peak run was fun and plenty stock friendly. Near the top there's a bit of a short cut on a switchback that was fun. Even my wife didn't mind going up the little shortcuts ... five times!

(not my X!)

The SCCX site is having problems. Lots of the guys and gals are meeting over at XOC : http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html

The next run looks like Anza Boreggo on Feburary 3rd to be followed by another Feburary 24th and 25th at Johnson Valley and Rattlesnake Canyon. I'll be at that one as there's an over night camp between days.

·
on line
853 Posts
If you've not already checked out the Events section of this site, there is a thread on the Johnson Valley / Rattlesnake Canyon SCCX club run that will be Sat & Sun, Feb 24-25.

Last year we did Rattlesnake Canyon all the way up to Big Bear (took pretty much all day). It was a blast. Some folks camped up in Big Bear, but it got pretty cold that night. This year the plan is to camp somewhere around Johnson Valley, which will likely be chilly but not as bad as up on the mountain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts