Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week I had an engine stumble.
It fixed itself quickly but i have not forgotten it thought it as either a) dirty MAF or b) something more serious that will raise its ugly head later.

So now.. today.
It was not just a stumble but the car died at a light.
was able to restart but now has a check engine light. the "slip" light is on too, as is the "VBS off" light...

I will pull the code tomorrow.
Or even try to make it into a shop.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
645 Posts
So last week I had an engine stumble.
It fixed itself quickly but i have not forgotten it thought it as either a) dirty MAF or b) something more serious that will raise its ugly head later.

So now.. today.
It was not just a stumble but the car died at a light.
was able to restart but now has a check engine light. the "slip" light is on too, as is the "VBS off" light...

I will pull the code tomorrow.
Or even try to make it into a shop.
Thoughts?
I had similar issues a few weeks ago. The truck would die at random times. At a light, on a turn or even when driving at highway speeds. I would then put it in park and be able to get it started again. There were no codes. I checked the battery cables, MAF, and the airbox for the filter. All checked out okay. My gut was the Cam Positioning Sensor due to the fact that it happened on my prior 2005 X. I went ahead and replaced the sensors in bank 1 and 2 as well as replacing the camshaft sensor with OEM parts. Usually if one goes bad, its time to replace all 3 sensors. Now my problems have disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bluez

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,069 Posts
all things point to a cam/crank sensor, it will eventually give you a code.
I've had a small number of very small stumbles over the past year, I'll notice it when I'm merging on the highway for example, feels like my foot slipping off the pedal for a half a second. I pulled a cat code, for a cat I've already changed, but its leaking after it so might be that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a code reader somewhere in the house but simply cannot find it : (
So I will head to a shop early tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have a code reader somewhere in the house but simply cannot find it : (
So I will head to a shop early tomorrow morning.
Be aware that a bad cam/crank sensor will not always throw a code, especially if it's only failing occasionally.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got a code.
SES light is on and its according to the computer due to Bank B.
Is that drivers side or passenger side?

Anyhow now I need to decide to I replace just the one the car thinks is at fault or both.
It doubles my cost and I am doing his via a shop not myself.

·
Registered
645 Posts
So I got a code.
SES light is on and its according to the computer due to Bank B.
Is that drivers side or passenger side?

Anyhow now I need to decide to I replace just the one the car thinks is at fault or both.
It doubles my cost and I am doing his via a shop not myself.
Change em all for better peace of mind. So then you won’t have to worry about it again. Make sure its replacef with OEM and not some other cheapo parts from the parts store since they are known to fail sooner than you’d like.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Change em all for better peace of mind. So then you won’t have to worry about it again. Make sure its replacef with OEM and not some other cheapo parts from the parts store since they are known to fail sooner than you’d like.

Good thinking!
I am waiting for the Hitachi part to be available which I understand is what Nissan uses for its OEM (some model years)

·
Registered
2006 Off-road, ADO 2" HD lift, Grabbers
106 Posts
Look at Rockauto too, they carry a good amount of OEM parts too.

I replaced all my cats, a week later they coded up again, so I doubled the exhaust gaskets on the second cats, no problems. Just hit 6k miles, still no problem.
A good friend had his b2 cat coding up, so out of fun, we just replaced his gaskets and retorqued. Two weeks now and almost 500 miles, no problems yet.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at Rockauto too, they carry a good amount of OEM parts too.

I replaced all my cats, a week later they coded up again, so I doubled the exhaust gaskets on the second cats, no problems. Just hit 6k miles, still no problem.
A good friend had his b2 cat coding up, so out of fun, we just replaced his gaskets and retorqued. Two weeks now and almost 500 miles, no problems yet.
Yes I found the part there as well.
but already made an appt with a local shop and they ordered the Hitachi part for me (Bank B sensor was not in stock)

Reactions: Jard

·
Registered
2006 Off-road, ADO 2" HD lift, Grabbers
106 Posts
Yes I found the part there as well.
but already made an appt with a local shop and they ordered the Hitachi part for me (Bank B sensor was not in stock)
I hate it when they are not in stock.
My oil pressure sensor is on backorder, now been waiting for two weeks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had the the part installed today.
Quality Hitachi part.
Did ONLY the side that needed it.
Since there is no economy of labor involved in doing both banks I decided to wait until the other bank goes before I spring go a replacement there also.

Reactions: Jard
1 - 12 of 12 Posts