Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to not let the crutches get the best of me and try to the Hellas on my front Shrock bumper. And, it's some incredible weather here in San Antonio, in the upper 70's for sure.

I just started and have some questions:
1) I bought a 12V relay in a 30A and a 40A, which one do I need?
2) I came across two different install diagrams for these and one says to actually remove the battery, do I need to unhook everything or am I ok to install them while the battery's in place?

That's it for now, I'm sure more will come up...

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK got it, thanks bro. These directions I got are pretty vague, they assume the installer knows what they're doing!

I got the bumper and lights used from Kokopop and so I have old wires coming from everywhere and then all the excess/install wires to hook-up...about to break down and take her in!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I'd use the 390 watt 30 A breaker rather than the larger 530w 40 A breaker. No need for the extra overhead on the lights.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So am I just retarded or is their no actual How-To on here for the bumper lights install? I'm pretty electrically challenged and these Hellas are kicking my arse! Too many damn wires and I'm not sure I'm hooking everything up right anyways. Still determined to do it myself though, two local 4X4 shops want $100+ for time and labor!

·
on line
1,114 Posts
TXterra37 said:
So am I just retarded or is their no actual How-To on here for the bumper lights install? I'm pretty electrically challenged and these Hellas are kicking my arse! Too many damn wires and I'm not sure I'm hooking everything up right anyways. Still determined to do it myself though, two local 4X4 shops want $100+ for time and labor!
I found it to be a complete nightmare and perhaps one of the most unpleasant and infuriating project I ever undertook. I did it myself but not without a litany of profanity and beer. The advice found here (God bless the well intentioned folks) was vague at best but somewhat helpful none the less.

My advice is to take your time and try not to get discouraged. I know it completely sucks but you can do it.

I used the wiring harness from Painless. The instructions may well have been good but if you don't speak "eliktrikamals", it might as well be Chinese.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Personally I think the quick how-to I did is the best you are going to get without a total step-by-step hand holding. When doing any electrical wiring, it is best to have a basic understanding of what each component is, what it does and how it works. Without that understanding things can and will be confusing. Once you have that part down, the whole process is pretty simple.

Here is my write up.
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6167&highlight=hella

1 - 11 of 11 Posts