Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because my SES light was on. Well after about 7 hours of waiting They finally called to let me know it was ready. Got there to find out that I had a bad gas cap. I hate that a gas cap can fuck your ride up.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i always make sure to click mine a few times when closing. I have heard of people throwing codes and lights because of this.

Sucks about the bad gas cap though.

·
on line
279 Posts
Had my SES go on a little while ago. It was right after I got it back from the dealer. I'm thinking, WTF? Did they screw with something? I remembered about the gas cap thing. I had just filled up, so I took the cap off and put it back on making sure it clicked 4-5 times. The light went off after that. No probs since. It would be hard to tell if you had an f'd up cap though.

·
on line
376 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
I hate that a gas cap can F$#% your ride up.
yeah, that does suck but now at least everyone else knows to check for it if there's goes off! :cheers:
LOL very ture and thanks for posting this mite save some one from sitting in the waiting room for 10 hours!!!!!!!!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea it says right on the cap you must make it click. It happened to me and I think it re set itself after a certain amount of miles after I cranked it down. My wife did that fill up. I wonder if the scanguage 2 can re-set that one? So far it's been useless for re'setting codes Just like dealer said it would be. MC

·
on line
641 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
Yea it says right on the cap you must make it click. It happened to me and I think it re set itself after a certain amount of miles after I cranked it down.
I have been told by my dealership's service advisor that if there is a Service Engine Soon situation due to a "problem with the gas cap" that if the problem is fixed(e.g. tightening/replacing the cap) the SES light will go off after about 20 starts of the vehicle.

·
on line
22 Posts
Driving the X on the interstate when the SES light came on. Remembering I once spent $50 to learn that the gas cap was loose on my wife's Optima so I pulled over to check the cap. Opened the door to find the cap was off. Put the cap back on, started the X, and a few minutes later the SES light went off.

·
on line
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine wasnt loose. I actually had a bad cap. Apparently there is a valve inside the cap that creates a vacumm and mine was stuck.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
BigDaddyChia said:
Mine wasnt loose. I actually had a bad cap. Apparently there is a valve inside the cap that creates a vacumm and mine was stuck.
Oh! Same results. I hate that problem. It's just a cap, but some do a lot. MC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts