Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I took my X into the dealer to have a squealing pulley checked out and the locker sensor (not the actuator) on the rear diff looked at as it was leaking. no problem, the pulley was actually a TSB, the diff they put some sealant on the connector and put it back into the diff.

I leave the dealership and my truck feels like it scrubbed tires a bit when I turned onto the main drag. I flip a u-turn, and heard a chirp and just thought it must be from the tight turn. I drive onto the freeway, 30 miles later I turn off and head home...the truck was feeling fidgety. as I turned into my neighborhood, the truck squeals tires a bit more, and then a boom!!! I pulled onto some dirt, stop and get out. look around and can't see anything out of place. then i hop back in, and hear this groaning noise from the rear diff. I put it into 4 hi, then 4 lo, then tried the locker. everything worked, but the locker would not engage, but I decided that the truck felt like it was fully locked. hmmmm....I drive the next 1/4 mile home, two more booms as I turned, groans and wheel chirps. got the floor jack out and lifted the rear. the tires both turn at the same time when turned by hand in neutral. there seems to be more play too (turn the rear wheels and it takes a bit of turning to turn the drive shaft. but, the rear is definitely in locked mode.

I stopped at the dealership on my way to work (different vehicle), and the guy says, bring it in and we will look at it. I can't imagine just sealing that sensor would cause the locker to go on without the switch pushed. also, my pinion flange change out should not have affected the locker. the truck seemed fine when I took it in.

so anyway, it goes in on Thursday, I am sure they are going to blame the lift, the pinion flange, you name it, but hopefully I will get lucky and they will find that the locker malfunctioned.

stay tuned, and wish me luck!! yeah, this sucks bad...but I will get it sorted out...it just means I won't be buying a rear tire rack anytime soon if they nail me as voiding the warranty.

·
on line
631 Posts
oh geez that sucks! you taking it to Ken Garff or to Bountiful??

Let us know how it goes! And how the service is at either of em... i had bad experiences at Ken Garff and hopefully yours is better. GOOD LUCK!

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I would ask everyone a question. Has anyone else had their locker lock on, without use of the switch? I imagine the tech tried the locker after fixing the sensor leak...maybe he left it on, drove it, then realized and turned the switch off, but the damage was done.

Just curious if anyone else has had their locker stuck on. I have turned the switch on a couple of times, but months ago out wheeling (yeah, it has been too long since I have been wheeling).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, never had it just go on. Also, if it's working right it will kick off above 12mph (according to the owners manual). Also, as soon as you switch out of 4lo it will turn off too.

Since it's electronic and all it takes is a wire short to turn it on, maybe there was a short in the solenoid that caused it to turn on. At that point, I doubt you would even be getting a light as the vehicle doesn't know it's on.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how lucky can a guy get :bom:

the dash light wasn't on at all, and suck suck suck...i will get it figured out and post back. i did some searches and couldnt' find anything anywhere on the locker crashing like mine, so i was only hoping

:geek:

·
on line
266 Posts
JtaoJ said:
I guess I would ask everyone a question. Has anyone else had their locker lock on, without use of the switch? I imagine the tech tried the locker after fixing the sensor leak...maybe he left it on, drove it, then realized and turned the switch off, but the damage was done.

Just curious if anyone else has had their locker stuck on. I have turned the switch on a couple of times, but months ago out wheeling (yeah, it has been too long since I have been wheeling).
i'd say that's unlikely considering its pretty obvious when youre in 4lo

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Just being in 4 could make it feel locked, especially in a high traction, on-road situation. Any chance it was stuck in 4? That seems more likely than stuck locked, given the need to be in 4-Lo and the 12 mph thing Muzikman mentioned.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You would never be able to get up to highway speed in 4lo. Also, in most cases 4lo wouldn't make you chirp tires going around bends, but being locked would.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I meant 4-Hi. And tight turns you'd maybe get some chirping; gradual turns, no, I agree. Just a thought.

It's as hard for me to imagine that trip locked in the X as doing it in 4-Lo. When I use my e-locker it feels like it ain't going anywhere but up that particular low-traction incline.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
d-rap said:
I meant 4-Hi. And tight turns you'd maybe get some chirping; gradual turns, no, I agree. Just a thought.

It's as hard for me to imagine that trip locked in the X as doing it in 4-Lo. When I use my e-locker it feels like it ain't going anywhere but up that particular low-traction incline.
actually, the truck is NOT in 4wd, hi or lo, just locked. no lights, nothing other than bad behavior to indicate the locker was engaged, and i didn't do enough turns to even get a good indication until i got close to home.

it is at the dealer's now, 6 hours later and no news? odd. i figured i would give them some time.

with it locked, i should just take it drag racing.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Nuts. Good luck. Obviously, the more info they give you, the better for all of us. If your locker can get stuck on, so can mine. What a bummer if you're wheeling a million miles from nowhere!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Since they were working on the locker, my guess is that it's not something that is just going to happen. I bet it's something they caused.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, here is the final word on my locker issue.

the sensor that they re-sealed (if you look at the upper area near the pinion where the wire goes in) apparently was the culprit. they pulled off the diff cover, then pulled that out and the locker unlocked. they put it back in and it relocked. they replaced that sensor and the locker works like it should. they replaced the oil, etc.

i had to leave the truck at the dealership overnight. they said they took the diff down enough to make sure it was all OK. i will certainly check it out when i get it home.

really odd, but interestingly, my locker has been very slow to engage. when I tested it at the dealership, it went in very quickly. i could hear it engage from within the truck.

now, on to funner things.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Good to hear. I would really make sure to get all that in writing so that if you should have locker problems down the road, you can point to it as a possible reason for the failure.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Muzikman said:
Good to hear. I would really make sure to get all that in writing so that if you should have locker problems down the road, you can point to it as a possible reason for the failure.

definitely get it in writing considering it was making banging noises

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great advice. i will definitely do that. this is a great site, not only for info, but just general support!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts