Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the UPDATED posting from sccxterra.com with the info for our upcoming March 24-25 run:

WolfmanX said:
Ok all, this is the offical club run for March. Put it on the calendar.

Meet place: Chiraco Summit Exit, at the Patton Museum. Cactus City is closed.

Meet time is 9:00AM - we have to start early on this one, we have alot of ground to cover!!

SATURDAY

Exit the freeway and head down Red Canyon towards the Bradshaw trail. Red Canyon mining district is an amazing place with tons of stuff to explore. We will spend some time out of the truck here checking out all the cool stuff.

This is going to be a mixed run with a good amount of time spent out of the truck.

We will then hook up with the bradshaw trail, and head towards Blythe stopping at any land marks we see such as the bombs, springs etc.

EDIT: We now are going to head up to the red cloud mining district, and camp near the great western mine. There will be a hike to the Great Western Mine, and other neat areas. Sunday will be up to the group, as there are several options.

I pre-ran up to the wildnerness boundary at Black Butte, and hiked to the peak (highest in the region, USGS marker and a sweet view of both the Colorado River, and Salton Sea. I also got a bonus and had some low flying jets do some acrobatics and a flyby when they noticed me. Followed by a burn down the canyon to the gunnery range and a drop of some live ordinance. IT WAS SWEEET!

The hike was... pretty much hell unless you like self induced torture.

Otherwise we can head out to the McCoy spring as orriginally planned.

Near Blythe we hook back up with the 10 Freeway, and cross over to the north side. Near Nicholis Warm Springs we head north on the east side of the McCoy mountains until we hit the split in the mountain. We head up this split as far as we can, and camp where ever we stop.

SUNDAY

Those that wish to, can wake up early and hike over the mountain, to the west side, and decend to the McCoy spring. There we will see the old stage coach stop, indian art carved in to rocks, etc. Hike back to the group, and head out.

NOTE TO THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT TO HIKE: There are NO trails here, this is open desert/rocky terrain. The reason we have to hike in to the spring is because the west side of McCoy is a wilderness area (no driving). This will be rough. We changed the earlier proposed run by Brian to this run simply because it would be too hot for most people to hike if we went later in the year. Also the rattlesnake risk goes way up later in the year. Bottom line is COME PREPARED, backpack with 100oz+ of water at least, good hiking shoes, and basic hiking gear. I will have emergency communications in case someone falls/gets hurt via local ham repeaters. /END DISCLAIMER This will be fun, but this isn't a hike for those who think the 100 yard walk from a car to the mall is "hiking".

The run for this day is up in the air for now, until Mitch and I pre-run the second leg. I will post the final plan when it is ready.
I will add that you'll want to top off your fuel tank before you go past Indio on I-10, I don't think there is much past that.

Also, considering the rather early meet time, we're thinking of driving out from San Diego on Friday night and finding a cheap hotel around Indio. If anyone else wants to do that as well let me know, maybe we can meet up.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I'm in on this trip for sure. I think I might even head out to the meet point on Friday and just crash in the truck for the night. Thanks for transferring the post, Frank.

·
on line
589 Posts
Frank I think you forgot to post the date :drunken:

It's the 24-25 for those that are curious though, and I think I will be able to make this one now. I had plans to head to Mammoth this weekend, but they got postponed 2 weeks so I have this weekend free. I am still bummed about being sick on the last run, so I definitely would like to be there.

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
on line
589 Posts
Looks like a blast! Can't wait for it, one of my friends with an FJ asked about joining up; is the group ok with that?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Thanks Frank.

Yeah, Eric, no one's gonna care he's in an FJ. In fact, they might even be interested in seeing how it performs.

Is Ruth still going? Julie is sorta up in the air about it. I think she said she'd go if Ruth went.

If not, then it's just the boys...

·
on line
589 Posts
I think Ruth was feeling up in the air about it too, but she has been traveling so much lately I think that is going to make her want to go (Due to never seeing me). I will let you know tomorrow after I talk to her tonight.

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MEET SPOT CHANGED !

Check the SCCX website for details. The Cactus City Rest Area is closed, meet spot is now at:

The Patton Musuem
Exit I-10 at Chiraco Summit

9:00AM Saturday March 24th (unchanged)

Itinerary for Saturday has been fine tuned based on pre-run.

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
syndicate said:
. . . .Is Ruth still going? Julie is sorta up in the air about it. I think she said she'd go if Ruth went.

If not, then it's just the boys...
Erick and Brian: if it helps Ruth and Julie decide, my wife Heather will be going, and I think there are some other women as well, both as drivers and passengers. The more the better.

·
on line
589 Posts
I talked to Ruth on the phone, and I am pretty sure she is coming...as in she wants to and if she doesn't then I am in trouble :blackeye:

How strong is the extra gas recommendation? I don't have extra gas cans yet, and I was planning on waiting till I get a roof rack before I made that purchase...If I do get stuck, I could always have Syndicate push my X back.

·
on line
47 Posts
Erick said:
I talked to Ruth on the phone, and I am pretty sure she is coming...as in she wants to and if she doesn't then I am in trouble :blackeye:

How strong is the extra gas recommendation? I don't have extra gas cans yet, and I was planning on waiting till I get a roof rack before I made that purchase...If I do get stuck, I could always have Syndicate push my X back.
Erick, you have plenty of extra gas. :laughing6:

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Erick said:

While it may not seem like our Gen2 trucks get that great gas mileage, it is way better than the Gen1 trucks off road, from what I have seen. Many of the guys here have SC models, and their mileage really sucks. Based on my experience over the last year I'm thinking that if we fill up in Indio, then top off at Chiraco Summit, we should be OK. I'm basing that on something really low like 14 mpg (off road in 4 Hi and Lo, with AC on) x 19 gals is still over 250 miles. We can refuel on Saturday night or Sunday morning around Blythe too. I don't like the idea of a can on the roof in that heat anyway.

I think its about 50 miles from Indio to Chiraco, maybe less, I just don't want to chance getting to Chircaco on an empty or half full tank since there is only 1 station there.

As an example of range off road, last year I made it from the Chevon at I-15 and Foothill to the bottom of the hill coming down from Big Bear, after doing all of Rattlesnake Canyon in 4WD (much of it in 4Lo), and down the mountain mostly in 2nd, on just over 1/2 tank. Seems to me that was well over 120 miles. That was pre-armor and pre-roof rack, but still not bad.

Don't forget a bundle of firewood if you're camping. No wood scavenging allowed.

It probably goes without saying, but lots of water too.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Oh boy, I wish I was back in Cali for this one. I've been that area plenty of times, really great area, nice views. You guys need to definetely take massive pictures.
:cheers:

PS: PICS!!!!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah Eric, I'm always paranoid when it comes to having enough fuel. Last run, I had a full tank and 5gal on the roof. I might do 10gal on the roof this time, just for good measure. I don't know why I'm so paranoid about fuel.

Like Frank said, the 1st gens get worse mileage and they didn't use their cans.

I think with my roof lights, tires, and all the gear on my roof rack, I get like 12mpg. Might not be that low, but I always had less gas than everyone else...

Worst case scenario, we'll just strap your X to my roof rack and cruise home.
:)

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone who is interested, there is a Travel Lodge on Hwy 111 in Indio that has rooms for around $80 - $90. It's about 2 blocks from Mitch's house, so we'll probably stay there Friday night, and caravan out in the morning. Don't know what the quality is like, but it should do for one night.

If anyone else is interested I could call and try to get a better deal on a group of rooms.

If we can get out there early enough (which is the current plan) we'll find someplace nearby for dinner. It would be good to get a group together.

If interested let me know.

·
on line
589 Posts
Let me check with Ruth on that Frank, it's definitely not a money issue but more if she wants to sleep at home on Friday. I really would like to meet up, have dinner, and relax outside of the X before the run so I will do my best convincing.

UPDATE: We will be up there on Friday night for sure. Are you staying at that Travel Lodge Frank? Any estimated time to be there for dinner? I can try and get up there as fast as possible, but it would be a slightly late dinner if we can do that.

Syndicate, you planning on being up there in the X, at the hotel, and/or for dinner?

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Erick said:
Let me check with Ruth on that Frank, it's definitely not a money issue but more if she wants to sleep at home on Friday. I really would like to meet up, have dinner, and relax outside of the X before the run so I will do my best convincing.

UPDATE: We will be up there on Friday night for sure. Are you staying at that Travel Lodge Frank? Any estimated time to be there for dinner? I can try and get up there as fast as possible, but it would be a slightly late dinner if we can do that.

Syndicate, you planning on being up there in the X, at the hotel, and/or for dinner?
I spoke to the manager of the Travelodge on Hwy 111 in Indio. They have rooms available for Friday night: $69.00 +tax for 1 bed, $79.00 +tax for 2 beds. They tell me parking is a ways off the street, which is good. Looks like there may be free continental breakfast.

Now for the disclaimer: I have never stayed in this hotel, I have no idea if it is nice or a dump. I'm guessing it will be towards the low end based on price. Probably similar to a Motel 6. I chose it simply because of location, there is not much further east (and it's only a couple of blocks from Mitch's house).

I have not made a reservation yet, but this is probably what we'll do unless somebody comes up with a better idea. (Knowing my wife, it would not take much to talk her into a nicer hotel, but this seems cheap and convenient.)

We hope to get out there early enough to have dinner someplace. It would be fun to meet up with anyone else who is going out Friday evening. PM me for my cell phone if you don't have it.

Indio Travelodge
80651 Highway 111 (between Jefferson and Madison)
Indio, CA 92201
(760) 342-0882

1 - 20 of 26 Posts