Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the Xterra is on the short list of vehicles I'm considering to replace my 1996 Dodge Ram V-10 2500HD.

As I'm cleaning off the 10+ inches from the Dodge this morning, a question hit me...

Just how difficult is it to clear off the top of the Xterra? I mean my wife's car is a PIA with the roof rack, but it's an easier height. How do you all clear off your roof?

(for the record, I'm one of those people who always clear off the vehicle)

·
on line
31 Posts
I wouldn't consider it easy if you are on the short side. I'm 6'1 and getting to the middle behind the gear box is a stretch. The side rails and foot steps in the rear are helpful but you can imagine slippery when you have a decent amount of snow/ice on the vehicle.

My wife can't clear the roof, she's 5'4.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I have a brush/scraper deal that is about 15 inches long (they sell these every where). I can clean the top of my X off entirely with this but I usually don't. I am 6'3 but I have long arms.

I think if you are under 6'0 and don't have steps or sliders then it would be pretty hard. However, a few snow storms and a few cleanings shouldn't stop you from buying an X. We all love ours.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

I've been using the search, but I missed that thread. Hmm. Forget what I searched for, but a lot of times I get pages of results which is almost as bad as not searching. (^_^)

To add my snow story.

Back in the early 90's when cell phones were really just starting to become popular and there were a lot of holes in the coverage, the ham radio repeaters in my area were regular chat rooms.

Well, this one morning, someone breaks into the conversation. Unlike a CB, everyone shuts up and the moderator handles the call. Turns out to be a trucker in an 18 wheeler. He was sitting on the shoulder of the Mass Turnpike (Rt 90). Moments earlier an ice sheet had come up off the car in front of him. The sheet flew directly into his windscreen shattering it and then into his face. Using just the sound of the rumble strips on the side of the highway he was able to pull off the road and call for help. The moderator kept him talking while others would pop in with very short updates on progress The description of where the truck was turned out to be just ahead of me and since traffic was light, I kicked up the speed a little.

I wasn't the first ham on the scene,but I arrived shortly there after. The man was cut up pretty bad. The entire windshield was gone. The mess of the shield and the ice was all over the cab, and ice was even embedded in the passenger seat. While we were arriving, other operators who were talking from home called authorities. It took only minutes for the first police car to arrive. Probably about 20 minutes for the ambulance and tow truck (and since this part of the highway has very few exits, that was a really good time)

Ever since then, I will not get onto a road with snow or ice on my roof if I can help it at all. I've had some ice where it's been tough to remove, but a little banging can usually break up the large sheets so that at most a square foot or so is the largest piece.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
wow, i try and not drive with it on the roof. thats an incredible story. was the trucker ok?

·
on line
254 Posts
I have a snow brush with a wide head and built in slide out extension, most truck stops sell them. For winter remove the 2 cross bars on the rack. Hit the front and top of the gear box from each side. Then standing on the rear bumper you can reach between the rails and in no time you’re clean. Well the top of the vehicle anyhow.

Had a shell on my Dodge that I owned before the X, and every truck before that. The X is as easy to clean as my trucks with shells if not easier. And handles much better in the snow than a pickup with tubes of sand in the bed during the winter. Still would like to have my basket on in the winter but it works as a snow catcher then. Have given some thought to having a canvass tarp made to cover it so I could keep it on in the winter and “pop� the snow off. If you’re still in the NE don’t think that would work so well with the wet heavy stuff you usually get though.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brutus_skx said:
wow, i try and not drive with it on the roof. thats an incredible story. was the trucker ok?
He was cut up pretty bad. I think it was about a week later when I heard he was released. I guess it all came out OK, but he spent a few days in the hospital at least.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cold Iron said:
For winter remove the 2 cross bars on the rack. Hit the front and top of the gear box from each side. Then standing on the rear bumper you can reach between the rails and in no time you’re clean. Well the top of the vehicle anyhow.
Oh cool. Didn't know they came off completely. That will certainly help.

can you stand on the rear foot rest and the rear wheel?

·
on line
707 Posts
I don't get to clear snow very often here in NW Oregon, but when I wash it I stand on the rear foot rest, sometimes the rear tire, and sometimes I just open the doors and stand on the inside edge and hold onto the rack with one hand.

·
on line
47 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
stand on the back tire
Same here, I always clean off the roof cause I hate being on the highway and snow from a car in front of me blows off onto my windshield. Those few seconds of blindness piss me off to no end. Standing on the sidesteps (I'm 5'5") I can clean off the roof box & windshield, then I have I foot on the rear step & the other on the rear tire (sometimes both feet on the tire) & and I can get all the snow in betwwen the roofrack.

·
on line
27 Posts
I'm sure it's the same everywhere it snows, but i was just on I90 this morning on my way into work and almost saw the same thing happen as the story above - except that it was caused by a truck.

A huge chunk of snow flew off the back of a truck and landed on the top of a school bus. That created a chain reaction of even more snow falling off the bus and onto all of the cars right in front of me.

Cars swerving all over the place, luckily there were no accidents.

I thought MA made it a requirement for all trucks and buses to clear off their roofs before driving on the highway - but I guess it's only illegal if you get caught.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stereo_freak1 said:
I thought MA made it a requirement for all trucks and buses to clear off their roofs before driving on the highway - but I guess it's only illegal if you get caught.
$200 fine for not clearing the roof in MA. Never heard of anyone ever getting it.

·
on line
47 Posts
Same here, heard that there's a fine but not of anyone it's been issued to.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looked up the law just to see how it's worded. It's a cute use of another law. Here is the text:

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 85 Section 36 reads:

Vehicles to Be Constructed or Loaded to Prevent Dropping of Contents on Ways; Exceptions; Penalty.
No person shall drive or move a motor vehicle on any way, as defined in section one of chapter ninety, nor shall the owner or bailee of any vehicle require or permit the same to be driven or moved on any such way, unless such vehicle is constructed or loaded so as to prevent any of its load from dropping, sifting, leaking or otherwise escaping therefrom, and, if it is loaded with sand, gravel, loam, dirt, stone, rubbish or debris that could fall on other vehicles or on the highway and create litter or potential hazards to other vehicles, unless its load is fully and adequately covered. This section shall not prohibit the dropping of sand for the purpose of securing traction, or the sprinkling of water or other substance on such a way in cleaning or maintaining the same. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than two hundred dollars.
In other words it's charges as an "unsecured load".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts