Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a discussion on this board about who needs winches and who doesn't I ended up a little "over my head" in snow in the San Bernadino Mountains near LA. Once I committed to trying to get through there was no turning back. I had my RUD chains with me, but decided to plow through without them, and started sliding off the road as things got icy. Criticize me for not fitting chains in advance or for driving into the snow for no fabulous reason, but my winch saved me from an unintended night out--at best. BTW, I had a 0 degree down bag and lots of other equipment and my friend knew exactly what trail I was on. But yes, I was alone.

Just that slipping feeling as my X neared the edge.

A nice hook-up for security and traction. I was able to use the winch while slowly driving in 4-lo first gear.

Perfect anchors everywhere (I also have a Pull-Pal).

This anchor was pulling me into the rut and toward the edge, so I had to re-anchor across the trail.

The winch line is butterflied around the bull bar since I was to need it again and again before I got out safely.

The way the winch was able to counter-act the tendency for the rear to slide and to hold me on the road and allow me to choose a perfect line was impressive. It's easy to see how that would come in handy if you were slipping in mud or if you were dangerously off-camber, a situation that could develop when you least expected it.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Good Explain on the winch & use of how you got out.. ALMOST.. had bad posting regarding your set up.. Till I seen the Rope!!! whew..

If that was wire cable & no Jacket on cable.. bad. But yours is Top of the line good stuff & Impressive...

Good work out for your winch & your skills.. :).. Did you have Fun?? is the main Question?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
See, the question is, if you did not have the winch, would you have done it.

Also, you have a snatch block or two right? The reason I ask is they are a most invaluable item when winching. Not only does it help you change your pull angles, but it also allows you to use more line. The reason this is important is because as the line gets shorter, the less pulling power the winch has.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzikman said:
See, the question is, if you did not have the winch, would you have done it.

Also, you have a snatch block or two right? The reason I ask is they are a most invaluable item when winching. Not only does it help you change your pull angles, but it also allows you to use more line. The reason this is important is because as the line gets shorter, the less pulling power the winch has.
I have two Superwinch heavy-duty pulley blocks fron Expedition Exchange, yes. My friend Bruce and I have practiced with them, but never "had" to use them. It's amazing how much pull-power multiplication you get with those things. I'm sure they'll be invaluable sooner or later.

But these were relatively low load pulls, often with power assist with me driving very gently along with the pull. BTW, even though I have rope not cable, I did all my pulling from inside the truck, never standing astride the rope. (Not that a cable couldn't find its way right through a windshield. With a cable, one technique is to put the hood up for safety, even though it limits sight line.)

Alone, without the winch, even with chains, no I would not have attempted to go into the snow. It's really awesome and a bit scary how unpredictable snow can be in the high mountains. BTW, I was an easy 15 mi hike downhill to civilization the next day if I couldn't make it out. Cell service was spotty, but existent for sure. Dirt bikes would have been likely in the AM.

It's $150 bucks for a satellite transmitter integrated with google maps that lets a friend at home see where you are and receive distress calls. I'll post the link when I find it. I like to venture out alone (sometimes) but I'm not suicidal. The West is incredible--and dangerous.

·
on line
192 Posts
Very impressive! Glad you made it out of that heap ok. I was on that other trail Cleghorn which is nearby about a month ago, so I can only imagine what this could've been like. The light snow that I encountered almost made me $#!* bricks when I slipped a little. Good job and nice rig!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts