Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend recently bought a 2007 X. He lives in a place where there is usually snow for about 6 months. Sometimes there are periods where it snows a lot, all day, day after day. In addition to the snow, there are times when it will rain, or mixed rain and snow.

His prior vehicle was a regular car, and although at times it took quite a while, he used a broom to clear off the snow so that he could drive to work. Sometimes he would have to clear the snow again before driving home.

The roof on the Xterra is quite a bit higher off the ground than his car, so snow removal from the X's roof is going to be harder.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for removing the snow from the roof of the X?

My thoughts were to remove the roof rack crossbars, and to use a push broom to pull the snow off towards the rear.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I have one of those long handled scrapers that has a little brooom on it, that works for me but I am also 6'3. I would think a push broom would work just fine. He could always get a step ladder start from the back and pull the snow towards him that way he can get in between the rack fairly well and will just have to bounce the broom over the cross bars.

·
on line
874 Posts
i dont know about the laws and such in Canada, but i know here in Mass/New Hampshire they are looking to make a law against driving with snow on your vehicles roof. in the past as the day goes on the snow partially melts and forms into ice blocks, at highway speeds, I have seen this happen personaly, the ice blocks get enough air under them break loose from the roof of the vehicle and smash into the car behind them. I the case I saw personally it shatterd the windsheild and did cause injury to the driver of the car. I dont suggest the drive fast a break thing becase of this. be very cautious how you remove snow.

·
on line
615 Posts
marzterra said:
i dont know about the laws and such in Canada, but i know here in Mass/New Hampshire they are looking to make a law against driving with snow on your vehicles roof. in the past as the day goes on the snow partially melts and forms into ice blocks, at highway speeds, I have seen this happen personaly, the ice blocks get enough air under them break loose from the roof of the vehicle and smash into the car behind them. I the case I saw personally it shatterd the windsheild and did cause injury to the driver of the car. I dont suggest the drive fast a break thing becase of this. be very cautious how you remove snow.

....the voice of reason

·
on line
1,208 Posts
marzterra said:
But if you are accelerating to 35mph and then BREAKING the snow/ice will not fly off and hit the vehicle behind the X, it would go down the front of the X. Along the windshield, then the wipers would wipe it off. I used to do this when I was stationed at FT. Drum, in upstate NY about an hour north of syracuse, lake effect snow like CRAZY!!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I can't believe we are talking about this......... much less talking about removing the roof rack to deal with snow. I just flip my KC's to the rear, turn em on while I clean the other windows and the roof snow is melted off by then. Geeesh!

·
on line
1,208 Posts
usmc xterra said:
I can't believe we are talking about this......... much less talking about removing the roof rack to deal with snow. I just flip my KC's to the rear, turn em on while I clean the other windows and the roof snow is melted off by then. Geeesh!
lol

·
on line
384 Posts
Go buy a cheap tarp at Wally-World and throw it up there at night. Yank the thing off in the morning and you are on your way.

And don't listen to these knuckleheads and their going 32 mph and then braking. The gear box keeps the snow from sliding forward. You have to get up to speed and then throw a hard right or left turn to get the snow to slide off the side of the roof.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Lyrex said:
And don't listen to these knuckleheads and their going 32 mph and then braking. The gear box keeps the snow from sliding forward. You have to get up to speed and then throw a hard right or left turn to get the snow to slide off the side of the roof.
I think it was in referance to the comment about taking off the roof rack. Then that would be an option, but I still don't see what the big deal is about having the snow up there anyway, and more so why this has turned into such a deal.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass on some of them.

However, some ideas won't work:
- dangerous braking and steering maneuvers (not worth the risk)
- trying to get the snow to slide forwards when braking (gear box will hold the snow)
- step ladder (not practical to carry around everywhere)
- move (even if that seems like a good idea at times!)
- a tarp (would have to be tied on, and kept in the X)

The best idea looks to be the SNO-PRO Snow Broom or SNO BRuM Snow Broom

They are available in Canada. For those of you in BC, you can order the SNO PRO heads from Briteland's website (they are in Vernon). The heads screw onto a standard threaded handle such as a squeegee or broom/mop handle, so you can get/make whatever length handle you need for your purposes.

Briteland said not to use a standard broom, as they will trap dirt/grit, and scratch the paint.

·
on line
230 Posts
Personally I love driving down the road watching giant slabs go flying.......But it sure seems like allot of people give me friendly waves :cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts