Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be making a trip to Maryland in a few weeks, and I will be traveling through the mountains on my way out there. Though I don't anticipate needing them, it was highly recommended that I have them just in case (especially since I will be moving to Syracuse, New York this summer and may need them at some point there) Can someone give me some input on which ones and where to get them?

·
on line
5,614 Posts
USArmyX said:
I am going to be making a trip to Maryland in a few weeks, and I will be traveling through the mountains on my way out there. Though I don't anticipate needing them, it was highly recommended that I have them just in case (especially since I will be moving to Syracuse, New York this summer and may need them at some point there) Can someone give me some input on which ones and where to get them?
Dunno what size tires you have but with my 33s I was limited to just your basic old school chain chains. But I had to buy the truck sizes - they were $90 bucks for the pair at Autozone. AND, at that price they didn't even come with the rubber bungies to snug them down. But they work great.

·
on line
384 Posts
Everybody who owns these, swears by them. I have not purchased mine yet but they are in line as soon as the budget allows.
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm

There should be a couple of other threads around here discussing snow chain options.

·
on line
564 Posts
Last year when I was driving up through the Sierras quite a bit, to go skiing, I just purchased some chains (cables actually) from Pep Boys. They were about $90 I think. Most of the time chains aren't required for 4 wheel drive vehicles though.

Dude...I don't know what mountains you'll be driving through to get to MD, but there isn't much snow out this way. Even up in the ski resorts in VA, and Southern PA all the snow is man made.

Rob

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
robnfl said:
Dude...I don't know what mountains you'll be driving through to get to MD, but there isn't much snow out this way. Even up in the ski resorts in VA, and Southern PA all the snow is man made.

Rob
I'll be crossing the Appalachian Mountains from Tennessee into Virginia on my way over to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, I was thinking that there might be snow there by the end of February.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
i wish we could use em. everyne iv talked to swears by them also, cept theyre illeagle here in neb

·
on line
564 Posts
robnfl said:
...Dude...I don't know what mountains you'll be driving through to get to MD, but there isn't much snow out this way...Rob

Uh...I guess I spoke to soon. In the last 2 or 3 days VA, DC and parts of MD got 2-4 inches of snow. And more is on it's way...

But, like I said usually 4 wheel drive vehicles aren't required to use chains.

Rob

·
on line
86 Posts
You might be better off getting a good set of all seasons. The BFGs are good, and on my truck I've got the goodyear wrangler silent armors. Amazing in the snow, absolutely amazing. I have 7k miles on my truck, and I've done about 2k of those in snow/ice/slush. I've never even come close to having problems on the road. tirerack.com is a good place to look at the snow/ice ratings of the tires. The user ratings are fairly accurate. Off the road, however, well I've gotten myself stuck in the snow a couple of times. But that was on a snowmobiling trail. *innocent look*.

I would also buy a good snow shovel before a set of chains. Both times I've gotten stuck in the snow I was able to shovel myself out. First time took 5 minutes, second time took 30 minutes. I doubt that chains would have helped much if at all in those situations, as both times I was in places I should not have been while there was snow on the ground. The truck was sitting on it's frame because the snow was so deep, so I had to dig out underneath the truck.

The other thing I would get before a set of chains would be a good air pump. You can get yourself out of a lot of situations by airing down your tires to just a few PSI. Just need a way to pump them back up again after you're out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts