Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be traveling in some snow this winter back in CA when I'm on leave. What are some good snow chains, and where can I get some? I figure I might need it if I'm going to be following my brother back home in some trails. Thanks for any replies.

·
on line
564 Posts
All I did was buy cables at Pep Boys.

Here's some good LINK for CA chain information.

Rob

·
on line
384 Posts
I know that the RUD chains come highly recommended by several off-road folks, but does anyone out there actually own these? If so, what style do you have. Here is a write-up link for them...... http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Those RUD chains look pretty good but I've never used them. I did have a similar set on my old Suburban that were easy to put on correctly and worked well. I've also used cable chains on passenger cars but am not sure they'd be that effective on an X. One thing to consider is your tire size. If you are running oversized tires (and maybe even stock sizes) you'll have to watch out for rubbing. I'd be especially careful of rubbing against the frame when turning the wheels hard.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
kneebuster said:
Those RUD chains look pretty good but I've never used them. I did have a similar set on my old Suburban that were easy to put on correctly and worked well. I've also used cable chains on passenger cars but am not sure they'd be that effective on an X. One thing to consider is your tire size. If you are running oversized tires (and maybe even stock sizes) you'll have to watch out for rubbing. I'd be especially careful of rubbing against the frame when turning the wheels hard.
I own RUD chains for my X, use them, and swear by them. If you carry chains for the once in a lifetime emergency, save your money. But if you want to drive on trails in slippery snow and ice (especially ice) get the RUD chains.

Here's an email link to their US distributor:
[email protected]

Sandra was very helpful to me as I ordered my chains.

·
on line
7 Posts
Ditto! For trail riding something aggressive like the RUD is the best. Live in AZ haven't done snow in a long time but used to chain up my Rover w/ a RUD type and worked GRRRRREAT!

·
on line
111 Posts
Have people chained up all 4? I thought I read in the owner's manual not to chain up the front, which didn't make any sense to me unless there is a clearance issue.

·
on line
384 Posts
d-rap said:
I own RUD chains for my X, use them, and swear by them.
Do you remember which model you ended up going with? ~Thanks

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Lyrex said:
Do you remember which model you ended up going with? ~Thanks
Yeah, I have the Rud Grips. Here's a Bill Burke article about them.
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm
Their next chain up in quality that fits our rigs is off-the-charts expensive. The Grips aren't cheap either (I forget exactly how much; the invoice is at home and I'm at work), but they're nothing like the ones at Autozone.

·
on line
384 Posts
Thanks! Off to the internet to do a bit of shopping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts