Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys- well I am stuck down here in Dallas Tx. with the worst ice storm since 1990. Any advice on chains- we have more ice than snow and I don't want to spend a fortune on chains.I have been looking online and the choices seem endless, so any comments would be appreciated!! 2006 xterra 2wd- 16" stock tires

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Paul, I'm not sure how good chains are on ice (as in the wicked freezing rain we get - and I believe you have at the moment). I think chains are best in snow, but I could be wrong. I learned years ago that our state police put on studded tires to move around in the ice - that's what I'd probably run if I had 2wd. Lots of folks like the dedicated snow/ice tires. I used to have a set of studded tires for a 2wd nissan hardbody, I never had any problems moving around. Now I have dedicated snow/ice tires on some extra steelies for my 4wd - I work for a hospital system so I have to be able to get around.

Different topic - must be really bad at DFW. I'm sitting in Kona, HI, right now on hold with AA cust support (currently for 160 minutes), trying to get a flight home. They notified us 26 hours in advance that our connecting leg from Honolulu to DFW is canceled. The original flight was scheduled to leave at 6pm on sunday.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snow and ice

Paul, I'm not sure how good chains are on ice (as in the wicked freezing rain we get - and I believe you have at the moment). I think chains are best in snow, but I could be wrong. I learned years ago that our state police put on studded tires to move around in the ice - that's what I'd probably run if I had 2wd. Lots of folks like the dedicated snow/ice tires. I used to have a set of studded tires for a 2wd nissan hardbody, I never had any problems moving around. Now I have dedicated snow/ice tires on some extra steelies for my 4wd - I work for a hospital system so I have to be able to get around.

Different topic - must be really bad at DFW. I'm sitting in Kona, HI, right now on hold with AA cust support (currently for 160 minutes), trying to get a flight home. They notified us 26 hours in advance that our connecting leg from Honolulu to DFW is canceled. The original flight was scheduled to leave at 6pm on sunday.
I've seen a few posts mentioning freezing did in our overnight forecast. I've never heard of such a thing. When I looked it up, this is what I found, "Freezing fog consists of water droplets that freeze upon contact with objects they encounter, forming a layer of thin ice or rime. This happens because the water is supercooled: its temperature is below normal freezing point, but it has remained liquid. The phenomenon differs from ice fog, which is made up of tiny particles of ice. Many regions of the world can experience freezing fog, especially during the winter months, when the air temperature can drop below freezing, creating the conditions necessary to create supercooled water droplets."
So, it basically means more ice on top of the 2 to 4 inches of solid ice that's already on the ground. ‪#‎icemageddon2013‬ ‪#‎icepocolypse‬ ‪#‎stayhome‬

The above is a post from a friend of mine on facebook- I wouldn't get my hopes up for DFW- it's pretty bad here- I am going to venture out a little tomorrow and see how bad it really is- I have plenty of weight in the truck- music gear- so we will see what happens- thanks for the advise!!!

·
on line
510 Posts
Advice fron Canada - Drive like a granny!

Seriously - brake pedal, skinny pedal, steering wheel - each one all by itself can cause you to slide, but they do love to team up on you too.

(Imagine travelling slightly downhill on the highway and having to make more than a 90 degree turn to get onto a side street - almost going back up the hill.)

Make every change of direction and/or speed as gradual as possible. Try to get all the braking done before the steering.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hey guys- well I am stuck down here in Dallas Tx. with the worst ice storm since 1990. Any advice on chains- we have more ice than snow and I don't want to spend a fortune on chains.I have been looking online and the choices seem endless, so any comments would be appreciated!! 2006 xterra 2wd- 16" stock tires
Not sure how urgent your travel is. My advice is to not go anywhere until it melts. Even if you have tires that can get you moving, 99% of the others around you won't be properly equipped and will slide into you.

Super cold ice, like the stuff on ice road truckers is on, provides some grip. When ice gets close to freezing temp, the weight of your vehicle causes a thin film of water to form between the tire and ice... Zero friction situation is created... If you manage to get going you'll be surprised at how long it takes to stop. Google ice storm driving to see and good luck.

I would use chains on hard-packed snow... For ice I'd want studded snows.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
510 Posts
Not sure how urgent your travel is. My advice is to not go anywhere until it melts. Even if you have tires that can get you moving, 99% of the others around you won't be properly equipped and will slide into you.
x2 No doubt about it; if you don't have to go out, don't risk it.

·
on line
510 Posts
Does airing down help after you put the weight in the back?
The best thing I could find about non-winter tires being used during winter was THIS. The most relevant part of their message is that the shape change caused by airing down shrinks the voids between the tread blocks and thereby reduces traction.

Of course, they are thinking about making adjustments to your AT or HT tires for months of winter during which you would drive at almost normal speeds, slowing down, sometimes to a crawl, as necessary.

If Paul really had to make one special trip to somewhere not far away, I suppose he would be doing nothing but crawling and the off-road air-down technique might be of some benefit, especially if he has MTs. Wet ice will be even more slippery than wet rocks though, and as Saint Urho implied, even if Paul has as much going for him as possible, it just takes one other guy to screw up and take him out.

Another interesting offering here, but it's about off-raoding in the snow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it seems I may have panicked a bit - here in Dallas we hardly ever get a lot of snow, but ice storms are a pretty regular thing. Usually they don't hit until January- anyway it is 33 Degrees as of now,but looking at the forecast it will be up in the 40's and 50's by the end of the week.Being a musician,I have a lot of weight in the back of the truck- P.A. system,various amps and keyboards- all insured -so traction is not an issue- however I was concerned about slipping and sliding. I used to live in D.C. so I am well acquainted with driving in bad weather,but as one of you said - I'm more concerned about the other guy hitting me-people down here have no idea how to drive in this stuff. I have been out a couple of times today and the main roads are pretty clear- bridges and overpasses still dangerous,and the sanding trucks have been out and about,so that helps- there have been a couple of serious accidents here -one guy drove off a bridge and into a lake- he didn't survive- so caution is the best option- Thanks everyone for your input- I may still get a pair of chains- but they are around 100 bucks -maybe find some on Ebay- I think my next X wil be a 4x4!! Happy Holidays everyone and drive safe!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah-the ice covered trees are actually quite beautiful, I should take some pics- I'm just glad it only happens a couple of times a year!!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
We had a perfect storm ice day in Calgary today. The air warmed up, the sun was shining, and the wind was blowing snow across the freeway; the result was miles of black ice that completely closed the southbound lanes of our major route. Lots of drivers found themselves in the ditch. I had the VDC assist me nicely on an off camber exit. Then on a two lane uphill the GMC Canyon that was passing me lost it to the outside, hung the tail in the snow bank, over corrected into my lane ( I was way slow down and behind by then ), flirted with the median again and finally got it straight.

My wife was suggesting he was a bad, over aggressive driver. I gave him a thumb's up at the light for the recovery... Because I knew it was slipperier than a dog-goober tennis ball.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had a perfect storm ice day in Calgary today. The air warmed up, the sun was shining, and the wind was blowing snow across the freeway; the result was miles of black ice that completely closed the southbound lanes of our major route. Lots of drivers found themselves in the ditch. I had the VDC assist me nicely on an off camber exit. Then on a two lane uphill the GMC Canyon that was passing me lost it to the outside, hung the tail in the snow bank, over corrected into my lane ( I was way slow down and behind by then ), flirted with the median again and finally got it straight.

My wife was suggesting he was a bad, over aggressive driver. I gave him a thumb's up at the light for the recovery... Because I knew it was slipperier than a dog-goober tennis ball.

Be careful out there.

Sir - you sound like you are from Texas-dog-goober is a word we use here in these parts- anyway , i would love to see Canada someday,but preferably in the summer.I think I may have spoken too soon about our weather here-26 Faren. here and everything has refrozen-was able-haha- to make it to the grocery store in my xterra! The sand trucks are working overtime and even stopping sometimes to help stranded motorists- we even have 4x4drivers-not all xterra's- pulling people out of the ice-hope this goes away soon!!

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Is the local news reporting on the status of the DFW airport? We've been canceled again on another flight in there - the flight leaving tomorrow (monday night) has already been canceled.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the local news reporting on the status of the DFW airport? We've been canceled again on another flight in there - the flight leaving tomorrow (monday night) has already been canceled.
Yeah Brett, they have- they have canceled most of the incoming flights- the ice is just too bad- they were de-icing the terminal roof today because or the danger to pedestrians on the sidewalk-the problem is that it warms up during the day and refreezes at night- making it even worse- I'll try to keep you updated if you like!

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Please do. Putting calls into the cust service don't work, my wife waited 4.5 hours last night and gave up. Several disconnects after waiting hours today. Finally rec'd an option for call back tonight - they said it would be more than two hours. Who knows.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DFW AIRPORT (AP) — The cots have been dispensed at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and airport staffers are passing out free coffee, cookies and sandwiches to iced-in travelers.
---->>>CLICK HERE to see photos.
Airlines canceled 450 flights out of DFW on Sunday. The airport says overnight 2,000 people slept inside the terminals. Only three of the seven runways are open at this time.
A few dozen people appeared to be sleeping on cots Saturday afternoon inside Terminal D at the sprawling airport. Others, like 26-year-old Joel Dutton, found diversions like watching football on their laptop computers.
Dutton is trying to get home to Huntsville, Ala., after a year-long Christian mission trip. He's in good spirits even though he'll have to sleep on a cot until Sunday morning.
He says he's used to traveling and backpacking, so it's not his first time sleeping at an airport.
DFW said a Lufthansa A330 jet got stuck in the ice just before takeoff for Frankfurt on Friday night. The aircraft was taxiing down the runway and rounding a curve when it could go no further.
The plane did not leave the runway, but it took as long as two hours to get all of the passengers off the plane. They had to spend the night at the airport.

Here's the latest as of today-

1 - 20 of 26 Posts