Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someday, who knows, I might upgrade the floss and rig up with some rope in place of the wire on my winch. But looking at the cost factor. I know the rope has got to be better but what about snatch blocks? It seems to me you have to get new ones to allow for the extra bulk. That would be a bummer. Am I right? MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A normal snatch block will workl with synth line. My Amsteel Blue Synth line is 5/16" same as the wire rope that came with my winch. You just have to make sure the pulley doesn't have any burrs on it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, but I have seen most often recommended is buy a new block when you buy your synth line. The idea being, wire rope can really chew up the pulley which then can chew up your new (rather expensive) synth line.

The same goes for the fairlead. An aluminum hawse is best. A steel hawse can rust and most often has sharp edges and the synth line can get caught in the rollers on a roller fairlead (although someone makes a delrin roller replacement for use with synth line).

The one thing I have been debating with my line is how to spool it. I have had people say spool it normal and other say spool it “sloppy�. The problem with spooling it normal (like wire rope) is that the synth line can actually squeeze between the wraps. I have had this happen already. Although it doesn’t cause any ill-effect with the rope, it causes it to jam when free spooling. It also deforms it a little which many have said (and tested) that it doesn’t cause any weakness in the line. My line is currently spooled “sloppy� but I have not had to pull anyone out with it yet.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info. Yea I think I am going to run out the wire a few years and convert when I trash it. If you want to trade a new snatch for a good used one let me know. I figure new floss, and fairlead (I was thinking the plasticy one) is too much PITA when I don't use it that much. Plus My license is all set up for the roller as it flips down and lock up on rollers. So I'd have to re do that also. I do like the safety of the rope though. For people that are going to buy this stuff new, that is the way to go. MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dag! That's an awesome choice of fairleads there syndicate! A few of those are new on me! I like the looks of the X line but the viking would help retain my license plate holder. Ya see now if I see a sale on floss, I can maybe take advantage of it. That post should be copied and made sticky in trail gear under choice of fairleads. All this good info from one dumb question! Bonk! Thanks man! MC

·
on line
1,407 Posts
The Shrockworks one is nice looking, and it has a fairly low profile.

I'd get one, if I had a Shrock in the front.....I'm working on it.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I was early asking this question. I kind of expected this to happen way back in Org. post. (Top) but no find, now I find several things. Looks like I need a new snatch block! MC

http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9892

Warn 19,000lbs Capacity Snatch Block

PLEASE READ:
Warn's pulley casting is getting old and is leaving sharp edges within the path where the cable runs. For safety reasons, we do not recommend this snatch block to be used with synthetic winch ropes. We have tested several snatch blocks and the defect is consistent. We recommend the ARB209 for synthetic line use.

(I found here) http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/1552.html
Used properly, the multi-purpose snatch block can double the pulling power of any winch, or change your pulling direction without damaging the wire rope. They also help to reduce heat build up and amp draw.

19,000lbs/8618kgs maximum capacity snatch block, with grease port and overload indicator. For winch capacities to 9.5ti with 5/16" (8mm) wire rope.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Well that's pretty amazing WARN is recommending the use of an ARB product over their own. Very standup.. I bought my ARB snatch block new HERE with a new 125' x 5/16" synth rope in their proprietqary OD green. Like Jason mentioned page 1, it's best to start off with all components (rope, fairlead, and snatch block) in new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts