Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: I thought I would finally share some of the mods I have done on my 2015 Pro4x. They are fairly modest compared to some of the trucks on this forum, but they fit my needs well. I mostly use the truck for exploring forest service roads for camp sites and new streams to fish.

Thanks to all of you that contribute to this forum. It has been a solid resource for me as I have started modding my X.

Username: Snagger

Make: Nissan
Year: 2015
Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X
Color: Super Black

Intro Photo:

MODS:

Exterior:
Removed stock mud flaps
Hella 500 Black Magic driving lights
Relocated 7 pin trailer plug to bumper
RockyMtnX Factory Bumper Winch Mount
Steel plate rear bumper
Diamond K400 antenna mount
2' FireStik antenna w/ medium duty spring
Auxbeam X-series light bar
Auxbeam lights on rear roof
Gobi Stealth rack and ladder
Stickers!

Interior:
WeatherTech floor mats
Fire extinguisher mounted in rear cargo area
Factory dome light/map light bulbs replaced with LED, passenger LED map light is red for night driving
Raingler headrest grab handles to help the Snagglets get in and out
OTRATTW switches for Hella driving lights and winch controls
Cobra 75 WX ST cb radio and external speaker

Performance:
Volant 12740 cool air intake
AEM Power 21-209EDK air filter
extended rear diff breather mod
Duralast Platinum AGM battery

Suspension and Tires:
Hankook DynaPro ATM 285/75R16 (removed after 50k miles)
Cooper Discoverer S-T Maxx 285/75r16
OME 90003 Nitrocharger Shocks w/ Heavy load coils (608)
OME Dakar CS061R rear leaf packs w/ OME 60017 Nitrocharger shocks
OMED37XL HD leaf
PRG adjustable shackles
PRG 1.5” front lift spacers
PRG UCAs
PRG Front sway bar end links and bushings
Hellwig Adjustable sway bar end links (thought they might be a good idea when towing my boat)
Extended braided stainless steel rear brake lines

Protection:
RockyMtnX sliders
PRG m226 Diff Cover
Hefty Fabworks Aluminum skid plates

Recovery:
Shovel
Axe
Gloves
Shackles
6’ Tree strap
Tow strap
Snatch block
Tool kit
Smittybilt XRC 9500 lb. winch w/ synthetic rope
Hi-Lift
Viair compressor

Future Mods, additions, wish list:
Power inverter
XTP intake manifold spacer

PHOTOS:

Stock!

As it sits now:

Some simple mods:

The end of the trail:

As of 3/12/2017, Gobi and Auxbeam lightbar installed:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Very nice man! I wouldn't mind relocating the trailer harness plug myself. Did you have to cut the original piece that it mounted to off? I haven't looked at mine too closely yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice man! I wouldn't mind relocating the trailer harness plug myself. Did you have to cut the original piece that it mounted to off? I haven't looked at mine too closely yet.
The factory plug and bracket didn't last long. I destroyed the plug and nearly tore the bracket that held the plug from the hitch dropping over a small ledge. I took some large channel locks and broke the bracket the rest of the way off. You can kind of still see the welds that were left on the hitch in the picture. Since that photo was taken, I have ground down the welds and touched up that area with some paint. The plug was an aftermarket plug that snapped right in to the existing Nissan wiring. Although, I did have to re-pin the aftermarket replacement plug to get it to match with Nissan pin out because there were two wires that were reversed. I like the plug tucked up in the bumper much better than the bracket hanging off the hitch.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wouldn't say your mods are modest. I would say they are quite substantial and purposeful, just not extreme. Looks good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, I also own a 2007 Frontier that I used to use for work. The battery finally died in the Frontier, so that gave me the perfect opportunity to upgrade the battery in the Xterra. Move the stock battery from the Xterra to the Frontier and put the new battery in the X. I went with Duralast Platinum AGM it was a little less expensive than the Optima and should be better when using the winch this winter. http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/duralast-platinum-battery/377104_453752_0/

I also installed some extended brake lines for the rear so that I had a little more room to move. I adjusted my rear shackles to the center position to add a little rake. In my opinion the truck looks much better now.

Finally, and the performance gains from the mod are yet to be realized, I applied clear plastidip to the badges and added red vinyl letters. The clear plastidip gives them a brushed chrome look. I like it, it almost matches the gray of the grill and isn't shiny. Here is how it ended up:

I have some minor tire rubbing on the front sway bar. Next mod will probably be extended sway bar end links for the front in order to get the sway bar lowered and out of the way to eliminate the rub. I have read a little about this problem on this forum, but I want to keep the front sway bar and don't want the tires to rub. Anyone have experience with extending the front end links, will this solve my problem?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So a couple of weeks ago my Gobi Stealth rack that I ordered in November arrived. So, for the past 2 weekends I have been working on getting the rack installed. The rack install went smoothly, no nutserts spun, but I went slow and was super careful. While I was at it I also ran wiring, installed overhead switches next to the bluetooth mic, and installed some new lighting on the rack. Oh, also wired the switches to the dash light so that they will dim with the dash and since I did away with the factory off road light switch I was able to relocate my winch controls to the off road lights location. Anyway, here are some photos:

The Gobi arrives!

topless

Overhead switches in the works

Rack and lights installed

Overhead switches

Daytime running lights on the light bar

Lightbar

rear roof lights

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm eyeing the exact rack very hard!
Looks great!
How long is the lead time from Gobi usually?

It looks like the hoop above the bar doesn't have any supports? Does it flex easily?
Does the rack come with tabs for light bar brackets?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm eyeing the exact rack very hard!
Looks great!
How long is the lead time from Gobi usually?

It looks like the hoop above the bar doesn't have any supports? Does it flex easily?
Does the rack come with tabs for light bar brackets?
If I figure correctly lead time was a bit over 3 months. It was worth the wait.

I ordered the rack for a light bar, so the supports are gone. Not my original plan for lights, but I wanted the option of a light bar. The hoop is super stiff. Nothing to worry about. The rack came with the brackets. I am sure they fit perfect for the light bars Gobi sells, but they work and fit fine for the Auxbeam i ended up installing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you happy with your Hella driving lights that low? I gave the same and have been d!cking around with a grille month for way too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, I am happy with the Hellas where they are mounted. The winch mount bumper has tabs for the lights so that is where I bolted them on. I have adjusted them a few times since installing them to get them projecting to where I wanted to be able to see. They don't interfere with anything like the winch and are up out of the way on the trail.

Good luck with your install. If I didn't have the tabs on the bumper, I would have done a grill mount.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have not updated my build page for a while, here is the latest:

New to me rear bumper

After right about 50,000 miles on the Hankooks - NEW Cooper Discoverer S-T Maxx. Super stoked about these.

Added a full set of Hefty Fabwork aluminium skid plates.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Camp Kitchen Added

After visiting the Overland Expo this November I got the idea that I needed to improve my camp cooking set up. I wanted a set up that would eliminate the plastic boxes of cooking stuff and be an easy set up. So I made myself something. This was my first attempt at building something like this out of wood and there were lessons learned, but all in all I am pleased and can't wait to put it to use on the trail.

The "kitchen" slides out and provides a wash basin, cutting board and place for the Coleman stove.

There is also a drawer for food, pots, pans, and other cooking stuff. I also added some small d-rings to the top for tying down other gear.

Thanks for looking. See you down the trail.

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,710 Posts
After visiting the Overland Expo this November I got the idea that I needed to improve my camp cooking set up. I wanted a set up that would eliminate the plastic boxes of cooking stuff and be an easy set up. So I made myself something. This was my first attempt at building something like this out of wood and there were lessons learned, but all in all I am pleased and can't wait to put it to use on the trail.

The "kitchen" slides out and provides a wash basin, cutting board and place for the Coleman stove.

There is also a drawer for food, pots, pans, and other cooking stuff. I also added some small d-rings to the top for tying down other gear.

Thanks for looking. See you down the trail.
Awesome setup! I've been thinking about doing something similar. Great ideas and layout!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
Snagger
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing