Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my X last November('05 AT) And in the past few months i've started to notice a few things. The first thing is that upshifting to 1st is such a rough transition. It will jump instead of shifting smoothly. Kinda hard to describe. The second thing is that whenever I drive on the highway( or highway speeds) periodically it will feel like I am on rumble strips for maybe 3 seconds. I know exactly where it is coming from( I think) and that is the tranny. It stopps whenever I take my foot off the gas. Help?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guys I checked the radiator cap and it was foamy. It's an 05 so it's definitely put of warranty.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You need a new radiator, new coolant, and new ATF fluid. Some people have had success flushing the trans with new fluid. It doesn't always work but its worth a shot. Either that or buy a $4000 dollar trans. There is coolant in your transmission and it all needs to come out. I think someone did a flush twice and the problem went away. Don't remember which member it was. Good luck.

·
on line
1,416 Posts
Stop driving until you can flush the trans. While you may be able save the trans by flushing, perhaps a few times, if you continue to drive you will only make the problem worse.

Jeff

·
Registered
517 Posts
The pattern seems to be that if you catch the foamy coolant BEFORE you feel anything from the transmission then you MIGHT be able to save it by flushing. Once you feel the symptoms, it's usually too late and you're looking at a full rebuild or replacement. Stop driving it, put in a new radiator, flush the transmission 2-3 times and hope for the best. It'll cost you ~$200 to do this, but it's worth a shot.

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
new radiator (ie...Koyo) is about $130. enough fluid for 1 Poor man's flush runs about $130-150 (14 qts Matic-S) So....looking more roughly around $300ish to flush twice....$430ish to flush twice. & that's just tranny.....add about another $25ish or so for coolant to flush a couple times (ya can use distilled water flush before putting the coolant back in)

Pop the cap off your radiator & look at the fluid in there...is it pink/foamy? If so...it's too late. Even if it's foamy....you're screwed at that point. Ya could attempt to flush the tranny & coolant several times, but it's still gonna come back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do not forget to do the SMOD mod to by-pass the rad. Even with a new rad there is no guarantee that it won't happen again. May even consider adding a second tranny cooler.

How-to: Bypass Radiator Transmission Cooler - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Up here there was word of an extended warranty and what I would call a partial extended warranty where you pay repairs up to a certain amount and Nissan covers the rest. Unfortunately most of us will have too many miles or too old a vehicle for any warranty to apply :(

I am truly surprised that this failure was never part of a recall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts